PDA

View Full Version : Fill frame

sylvie
11-04-2005, 06:26 AM
I know with my Panasonic camera I can zoom into a subject such as a small bird and fill the frame so the end result is a nice pic of a bird. Now with the Canon 300D plus Sigma 50-500 lens I still don`t seem able to get the full close up of the bird as with the Panasonic at the same distance. I have seen photo by Kevin Bates with the canon + Sigma Bigma lens and his bird shots are perfect. Can anyone give me any tips Many thanks

coldrain
11-04-2005, 07:08 AM
That is just impossible. The Panasonic you refer to is probably a 12x zoom one, which zoom upto 430mm 35mmfilm equivalent or so. The 500 will give an equivalent of 800mm. So it is not possible that you can get it full frame on a 12x zoom lens panasonic and not full frame on that 300D.

ktixx
11-04-2005, 10:28 AM
That is just impossible. The Panasonic you refer to is probably a 12x zoom one, which zoom upto 430mm 35mmfilm equivalent or so. The 500 will give an equivalent of 800mm. So it is not possible that you can get it full frame on a 12x zoom lens panasonic and not full frame on that 300D.

It is possible, With the Panasonic camera he was probably using a digital zoom as well. If you have a 12x optical combined with a 4x digital that is effectively a 48x zoom, which would probably fill the whole frame.
As said before, your 500mm lense with the 1.6x crop factor is actually an 800mm optical zoom. You may not be able to get a full frame on the camera viewfinder, however take the picture, download that image onto your computer and crop it until it is full frame and I can guarantee you will have a clear, sharper image than with the panasonic.