PDA

View Full Version : help please Canon a80 powershot

spadge
07-11-2004, 07:17 AM
Hi all
I'm looking for some advice - I am by no means a whizz with my camera but I am encountering a problem and I'm not sure if its me or my camera. :(
The camera has actually been returned to canon once for this and another issue,
Anyway my problem is if I try to take photos of action shots using a flash there seems to be a delay.
For example I was trying to take a photo of my daughter coming down a slide it was a a little dark so falsh was needed anyway by the time the shot was taken she'd zoomed past !
Hope that makes sense and any help would be greatley appreciated

Canon said time is needed to charge before using the flash and that was it.
Thanks
S :)

Aaron
07-20-2004, 03:19 PM
It's called shutter lag, and it sucks.

Sorry, but it's not something you can fix. It gets slightly better if you don't use a flash, and are in bright light with easy-to-focus objects.

It's still very annoying though.

jamison55
07-20-2004, 05:32 PM
You can reduce the shutter lag by pre-focusing on the area of the slide where you will be taking the picture. Then click the shutter when you see your daughter's feet. Use the sports mode so the camera picks a fast shutter speed. The pic should come out much better.

Cailean
07-23-2004, 06:51 PM
If your camera has a 'burst' mode, that can help. Also, if you have enough megapixels to play with, you can take the shot at a wider angle and crop it down later.

my $0.02

EDIT: sorry, I don't know enough about your camera to know if you have these features or not.

John_Reed
07-25-2004, 08:48 AM
Hi all
I'm looking for some advice - I am by no means a whizz with my camera but I am encountering a problem and I'm not sure if its me or my camera. :(
The camera has actually been returned to canon once for this and another issue,
Anyway my problem is if I try to take photos of action shots using a flash there seems to be a delay.
For example I was trying to take a photo of my daughter coming down a slide it was a a little dark so falsh was needed anyway by the time the shot was taken she'd zoomed past !
Hope that makes sense and any help would be greatley appreciated

Canon said time is needed to charge before using the flash and that was it.
Thanks
S :)
Be sure you're not using redeye reduction to take those shots. If you are, the camera's flash will cycle through a couple of flashes before taking the photo. Either use no flash at all, or forced flash.