PDA

View Full Version : IST DL review?

eduardofrances
11-03-2005, 08:42 AM
Cant find a review that contains useful info with photos samples... they talk about the camera and all the stuff, but there isnt a single photo to put as an example of each of the topics in the review :/!!! have you found any??

Conroy
11-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Don't worry about a review.

I have had an istDL for a couple of months now and it is brilliant. I take botanical (mostly close up shots of flowers) photos. Last month I took about 1400 images on a field trip and out of those enede up with about 1200 very high quality images.

All you need is the basic 18-55 mm lens and get a Raynox DCR-250 Super Macro/Close-Up lens from http://www.bugeyedigital.com, including the clip-on attachment device. The close-up lens just clips onto the front of the normal lens and can be snapped on and off in seconds. This means you are not changing lenses all the time and so allowing dust to get onto the sensor.

I also have a Nikon D70s with a 105mm macro lens and the istDL takes better shots than the Nikon. The Pentax raw images are much sharper than those of the D70s but better still, the jpg images from the Pentax are far better than those of the Nikon and you do not really need to use raw images.

The Pentax istDL is the best value for money of any digital camera on the market.

If you do decide to buy one I would be happy to tell you the best settings to use.

astro
11-21-2005, 12:28 AM
The picture quality is entirely dependent on the lens and not the camera. Results would vary GREATLY depending on the lens used. Look for lens tests rather than camera tests.

Nikon D70 and the *ist DL should have the same image quality at raw mode since they both use the same Sony CCD sensor.

I have a hard time believing that the kit lens paired up with a cheap raynox close up lens would give you better image quality than a Nikon dedicated 105mm macro lens.

For $45, I'd look into a nice set of extender tubes, no image quality loss unlike close up lens.

Rex914
11-21-2005, 04:31 PM
Pentax "broke" official ties with this site for no reason, so Jeff no longer receives cameras to review nor does he post news about Pentax. If they ever want to turnaround their dreadful financial situation, Pentax should take a good first step and reestablish relations with the largest consumer digicam review site on the net (DPR is more amateur/pro oriented IMO).

pip22
11-30-2005, 07:52 AM
The picture quality is entirely dependent on the lens and not the camera. Results would vary GREATLY depending on the lens used. Look for lens tests rather than camera tests.

I don't agree with that statement entirely my friend. Sure , lens quality plays a big part in picture quality, but even if both cameras used the same sensor there are other factors, not least of which is the degree and quality of the in-camera processing once the image is captured (I'm referring to JPEG and TIFF capture of course, not RAW. Your statement may hold true with film cameras (assuming the cameras being compared are loaded with the same brand/speed of film) but digital cameras have introduced many more variables affecting picture quality than simply the sensor and the lens.

coldrain
11-30-2005, 04:47 PM
I don't agree with that statement entirely my friend. Sure , lens quality plays a big part in picture quality, but even if both cameras used the same sensor there are other factors, not least of which is the degree and quality of the in-camera processing once the image is captured (I'm referring to JPEG and TIFF capture of course, not RAW. Your statement may hold true with film cameras (assuming the cameras being compared are loaded with the same brand/speed of film) but digital cameras have introduced many more variables affecting picture quality than simply the sensor and the lens.
RAW is not just sensor data anyway. It dus go through processing, and the *istDS is better image quality wise than the *istDL (and no, I do not have photo samples for you), let alone that the biggest reason for the *istDS (pentaprism big and bright view finder) is missing from the *istDL.

eduardofrances
12-02-2005, 10:23 AM

I have had an istDL for a couple of months now and it is brilliant. I take botanical (mostly close up shots of flowers) photos. Last month I took about 1400 images on a field trip and out of those enede up with about 1200 very high quality images.

All you need is the basic 18-55 mm lens and get a Raynox DCR-250 Super Macro/Close-Up lens from http://www.bugeyedigital.com, including the clip-on attachment device. The close-up lens just clips onto the front of the normal lens and can be snapped on and off in seconds. This means you are not changing lenses all the time and so allowing dust to get onto the sensor.

I also have a Nikon D70s with a 105mm macro lens and the istDL takes better shots than the Nikon. The Pentax raw images are much sharper than those of the D70s but better still, the jpg images from the Pentax are far better than those of the Nikon and you do not really need to use raw images.

The Pentax istDL is the best value for money of any digital camera on the market.

If you do decide to buy one I would be happy to tell you the best settings to use.
thanks for your feedback :) I will look onto buying one maybe for holidays or in the first months of the next year perhaps! It is sad that this camera that is the equivalent to the EOS XSN (a begginer SLR that is affordable for those entering the SLR world) is not being reviewed and they only focus on the expensivier SLR cameras :(

Thanks a lot for your nice reply!

eduardofrances
12-02-2005, 10:24 AM
Pentax "broke" official ties with this site for no reason, so Jeff no longer receives cameras to review nor does he post news about Pentax. If they ever want to turnaround their dreadful financial situation, Pentax should take a good first step and reestablish relations with the largest consumer digicam review site on the net (DPR is more amateur/pro oriented IMO).

:( that is sad... but neither Dpreview or Steves digicam has posted any reviews :(

eduardofrances
12-02-2005, 10:26 AM
RAW is not just sensor data anyway. It dus go through processing, and the *istDS is better image quality wise than the *istDL (and no, I do not have photo samples for you), let alone that the biggest reason for the *istDS (pentaprism big and bright view finder) is missing from the *istDL.

But is the pentaprism that important? I have an AE1 Program and Canon EOS XSN the first one with pentaprism and the later with pentamirror and there is a difference but, you can still shoot and see clearly in both viewfinders I have taken more than 3,000 shots with both combined and I dont feel that the pentamirror is an obstacle :)

rprii
12-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Check out review in the December Peterson's Photographic and comparison article in Nov/Dec American Photo (compares Konica Maxxum 5D, Nikon D50 & *ist DL)

pamk
01-15-2006, 12:30 PM
hi
i have a pentax ist dl and am not as happy as all of you. i had a k1000 which i loved and a fujifinepix 5000 which i really liked, but wanted to move to a dslr. my pics are a bit blurry and the color is not always accurate. i took it back to the small camera store where i bought it and the guy kept it for awhile and took pics himself with it and said it was great.
what could i be doing wrong? i have played with the WB (which makes a huge difference on this camera) and with the apertures, but tested it on "p".
i want to love it too and am hoping that there is some sort of user error. All the pics have been in cloudy days because as some of you may know, there have been 27 straight days of heavy rain here in the Pacific northwest. i take a picture of a tree and then take it to the tree and it is always different. i do some minor corrections in photoshop elements which help a bit.
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WightWalker
01-16-2006, 07:01 AM
hi
i have a pentax ist dl and am not as happy as all of you. i had a k1000 which i loved and a fujifinepix 5000 which i really liked, but wanted to move to a dslr. my pics are a bit blurry and the color is not always accurate. i took it back to the small camera store where i bought it and the guy kept it for awhile and took pics himself with it and said it was great.
I can't speak for the *istDL but ALL dSRLs DO NOT produce 'punchy' shots straight out of the camera as do Prosumer cameras like the Fuji 5000 where colour saturation & sharpness is boosted to give pleasing results straight away.

With dSRL, you have to Post Process to bring out the best - particularly focus which straight out the camera is a tad soft.

As for colour accuracy, shots taken in sequence should all be of similar colour provided they are in the same direction i.e. into the sun will not give the same results as away from the sun.

This shot, which I've also posted elsewhere, illustrates what I mean by colour & sharpness; it was Post Processed in Photoshop to ajust the Image Histogram, Image Shadow & Highlights & finally UnSharpMasK to improve the sharpness.

When I was considering upgrading from my Fuji S602, I was initially disappointed with the results that obtainable from dSRL - why pay out so much more when you have to do more to get acceptable results.

The answer is - you cannot put back what the camera has taken away i.e. leaving the image basically as the CCD sensor captures it, the it can be enhanced in a graphics package.

pamk
01-19-2006, 07:52 PM
i am still having trouble with mine-they are often blurry-i didn't use the flash very often on my old fuji finepix but it seems like i would have to use it all the time. even when it seems like there is enough light to not need one

pamk
01-19-2006, 08:11 PM
i think i have attached a sample

WightWalker
01-20-2006, 07:33 AM
i think i have attached a sample
Don't forget to attach the sample to the post.

Blurry shots result either from being 'out of focus' or 'camera shake'.

You indicate that flash is nearly always required - are you using the camera indoors or is the light so poor.

Try setting the camera to Tv mode - Shutter Priority with a speed of 1/250S which should be fast enough with the 'kit lens' to freeze the action & eliminate potential problem No.2 - Camera Shake.

Make sure that your subject is centred in middle of the viewfinder and confirm that when the shot is taken that it is centred on the subject & 'focus lock' is achieved before fully depressing the shutter.

Switch to manual focus and manually focus on the subject and compare results with that obtained using 'Auto Focus'.

You should have a 'sharp' image - least ways as sharp as the sensor will allow. Making necessary adjustments in a graphics package to enhance the image in respect of Brightness, Saturation & Sharpness.

pamk
01-22-2006, 03:23 PM
is it unusual to not have 100 iso choice?

coldrain
01-22-2006, 03:55 PM
is it unusual to not have 100 iso choice?
The Nikon D50 and D70(s) don't have an ISO 100 setting either.

coldrain
01-22-2006, 03:58 PM
It is hard to know what you are seeing without some samples. If you want to post jpeg samples, be sure they are under 237kb in file size.

pamk
01-22-2006, 04:04 PM
cold rain, etal.
do you miss not having an iso 100 choice?

coldrain
01-23-2006, 12:40 AM
I have an "ISO 100 choice". Since on my camera that is the least noisy setting, I use it when it is sunny outside. That is the only reason, if it would be called ISO 400, I would be using that when it is sunny outside. I do not think I would miss it if it wasn't there.

jeisner
01-23-2006, 02:40 AM
It is just that 100 is the optimum ISO setting for the canon CMOS sensor the Sony CCD in Pentax and Nikon DSLRS has an optimum ISO equivelent of 200, so 100 would be worse for them than 200 so why bother having it...

The only time it may come in handy that I can think of is for photographing water and trying to get the creamy look... In which case you just need a tiny bit stronger ND filter, it is not an issue IMHO...

Arch Stanton
02-25-2006, 12:32 AM
Are there still no *ist DL reviews? I'm trying to compare it to D50.

halfpint1187
03-13-2006, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the honest opinion. It has helped me in my decision of buying the *ist DL.