PDA

View Full Version : FZ3 accessories

winterlw
10-03-2004, 07:36 AM
Hey everybody. After alot of research, I think that I've pretty much decided on getting the pana FZ3, but this will be my 1st camera so I don't know what I will need with it. I know I need a bigger memory card (256 or 512) but what brand should I get?
Also what case is best for this camera? I want something small that only has room for the camera itself and battery charger. But it needs to be durable enough to stand up to the punishment of travel.
Also I'm guessing I need a protector for the lens. Or should I get some kind of filter?
Finally where is the best place to get all of this stuff? I've found the camera online for $358.

Sorry for all of the questions and thanks for any help.

John_Reed
10-03-2004, 09:03 AM
I know I need a bigger memory card (256 or 512) but what brand should I get?
For a memory card, I suggest you check out Panasonic's card; a 256MB card should hold enough photos for you for a reasonable day's shooting session. Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000U1OD2/002-7507668-4497647?v=glance) offers them for $67.99. I have a Panasonic 256MB card, and it's almost as fast as my PQI 1GB card, which sells for $83 on-line at Newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com/app/searchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&Range=1&DEPA=0&bop=and&description=PQI&InnerCata=68). Some might argue that using a 1GB card is "putting all your eggs in one basket," but I just got back from a week-long Hawai'i trip with mine, and I took around 1,000 shots or so (though I edited out the chaff every evening, so I really brought home "only" 650 shots) with no problems. If you're thinking of an extended trip, you'll have to think about either taking along a laptop, or extra memory cards, depending on your shooting habits. Most folks shoot a lot of shots with digital cameras, but your mileage may vary! You will find that having a high-speed card will provide benefits for your FZ3, especially for burst shooting, and continuous shooting sessions.

Also what case is best for this camera? I want something small that only has room for the camera itself and battery charger. But it needs to be durable enough to stand up to the punishment of travel.
When I travel with my FZ10, I keep the lens cap on, and carry it separately, or in my carry-on bag. I do have a small case, large enough to carry my extra telephoto extender lens (TCON-17), but I see no reason to carry the battery charger with the camera; it's an accessory I pack in my suitcase, and only use it at night to recharge my batteries if needed. When you get your camera, if you really feel you need a case for it, I'd suggest dropping into a local camera shop and just trying the various ones they have on the shelf on for size and style. Which brings to mind another "accessory" you'll absolutely need: a spare battery. I recommend the ones sold by Battery Barn (http://www.batterybarn.com/cgas002.htm) for $37.99 shipped. They have 800 mAh instead of the OEM original's 680 mAh; I have two of them, have found them to live up to their expectations very well.

Jayde
10-03-2004, 09:30 AM
winterlw
OP TECH usa, make bendy neoprene (wet suit) very stretchy pouches but that is all they are no pockets with only press stud back flaps and rubber ring around the lens to attach the pouch.. only tight fit style i found.. good light strong protection

http://www.optechusa.com/digital.htm#dseries

most are too big for FZ3:(
The Rangefinder or D Series is too big for FZ3 > they are FZ10/20 size
================================================== ====
Look at SOFT POUCH™- DIGITAL
that top camra is the Fuji MX-2900 and is closest size to FZ3
and it takes the optech > Oly < pouch option

FZ3 ..............(4.25w x 2.7h x 3.3in deep)

Fuji MX-2900 (5.1w x 2.7h x 2.4 in)

================================
I use my FZ10 with their GOTCHA velcro wrist strap..

winterlw
10-03-2004, 10:10 PM
thanks for the advice. I do think I'll need a case because I'm going to have it tossed into a huge backpack hiking and travelling. I'll just try it out at a store.
But do you guys have any suggestions about the lens protector or filter and where to buy it. I know nothing about filters/protectors, so do they all fit on fz3? What kind will I need? Thanks again

Jayde
10-04-2004, 03:07 AM
winterlw
try a local camera shop and ask for a 55mm UV filter.. they will help you fit it they should blow any dust out gently 1st using a blower brush (not mouth) that protects the Lens, so leave it on forever.. you may need a new lens cap.
buy a proper cloth to clean the filter

try camera cases too hope u find somthin small. or those ladys fashion shops have all types of bags cheap !
buying a camera case with logos on makes that a target for thieves, i think.
so always use neck strap or wrist strap :)
have fun its a :cool: camra..

if you want extra battery for travelling etc
http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim/DMCFZ10/
@ battery barn
its same as FZ10

Matsushita
10-16-2004, 06:05 AM
I have some questions relating this topic.

Will any 55mm UV filter fit on the FZ3? Is there a difference between the 55mm UV filter and the Multi-Coated Protector (DMW-LMC55) that Panasonic sells? Does the lens cap still fit after you put on the 55mm UV filter/MC Protector?

Any reply would be appreciated.

propwash
10-16-2004, 08:11 AM
Yes, any 55mm filter will fit on the FZ3's adapter ring. The filters have standard threads on them, and they all should fit.

The Panasonic supplied lens cap will also fit on the filter after you have attached it to your adapter ring.