PDA

View Full Version : FZ20 LCD really bad in low light?

Mike C.
10-02-2004, 08:05 PM
I was just about to place my order for the FZ20 when I read the review one more time (just want to be sure).

Is the LCD or EVF really that bad in low light? Jeff was able to take his night shot. Was it just difficult to see or was it unusable (I',m sure with Jeff's skills he could take a picture blindfolded)?

Then again, what is low light .... inside shots or night shots outside?

Thanks .... Mike :)

PixChick
10-02-2004, 08:42 PM
IMO, the LCD is really pretty dark when there is little light. Not just "indoors" but indoors with mediocre lighting to dark. It has been hard for me to use in dark rooms, but I have still managed. I don't consider it totally unusable, but difficult. It would be nice to have the LCD "gain up" in low light. The good thing--even in very dark rooms (almost no light at all) the auto focus has been very good. I played a bit with a Nikon 5700 and I would say that the time it took to auto focus in good indoor light was the same as the FZ 20 took to focus in almost total darkness. In good light, the FZ 20 is very fast with auto focus. Just a side note.

PixChick :)

Jeff Keller
10-02-2004, 10:39 PM
I was just about to place my order for the FZ20 when I read the review one more time (just want to be sure).

Is the LCD or EVF really that bad in low light? Jeff was able to take his night shot. Was it just difficult to see or was it unusable (I',m sure with Jeff's skills he could take a picture blindfolded)?

It's not horrible, but not great either. The nightshot was easy because the skyline is bright enough. Inside the house is another story.

Jayde
10-03-2004, 05:29 AM
I sat and took pics every few mins in my living room with FZ10 as it got dark (no lights)
i thought it coped v well finding a leaf pattern on the curtains (not easy )
no complaints here

Wont work in darkness (what does) but u can use a lazer pointer few $ or even add one to the hot shoe (called RED SPOTS homemade efforts ) on forums..

Mike C.
10-03-2004, 10:18 AM
I guess I'm just a bit slow.

What I really what to know is will I be able to use the FZ20 to take pictures like I do now with my 35mm point and shoot (although it has a lot of pictures to play with it still must be used as a basic camera also)?

I use it at birthdays and Christmas (both indoor events).

I go on trips to indoor science and technology museums.

Will the LCD or EVF be usable under these conditions.

I never heard this complaint with the FZ10. Maybe it was not a problem on the FZ10?

I would just go and see for myself but no one in this town or the town next to me has this model to check.

Thanks again .... Mike :)

John_Reed
10-03-2004, 10:48 AM
What I really what to know is will I be able to use the FZ20 to take pictures like I do now with my 35mm point and shoot (although it has a lot of pictures to play with it still must be used as a basic camera also)?

I use it at birthdays and Christmas (both indoor events).

I go on trips to indoor science and technology museums.

Will the LCD or EVF be usable under these conditions.

I never heard this complaint with the FZ10. Maybe it was not a problem on the FZ10?I have an FZ10. Generally, the complaint about "low light" issues with the LCD (or EVF, which I vastly prefer) arises in manual exposure. In that mode, the camera tries to show you what the photo will look like, at the exposure values you've selected, and if you're in a scene that demands flash, the LCD/EVF will indeed "go dark." However, if you are using any of the auto-exposure modes, the displays will "gain up" and at least allow you to frame and compose your shot. Any lighting level where you can see well enough to read will be adequate, I assure you. I've taken 100s of shots in museums, at parties, on stage, etc., and there was always plenty of light to see for framing. I'm pretty sure the FZ20 won't let you down in this respect.

Mort
10-03-2004, 11:44 AM
Hi !

I just registered and this was my first concern as well. These forums are great thanks a lot! :) Thanks Mike for asking this question for me. :D

My concerns are very similar. I want my wife to be able to use this camera in place of her Nikon Zoom 800 P&S as well as all it's other great capabilities. She likes to take family pictures indoors so naturally some of these will be after dark and I am concerned with the degree of difficulty she will have composing shots in these conditions under varying lighting conditions.

Any experience that can help clarify what Jeff means by "In low light the LCD doesn't "gain up" automatically like on some other cameras, making it darn near impossible to see your subject. Turning up the LCD brightness doesn't help." would be greatly appreciated. There are no local retailers here so I will not have an opportunity to try this camera hands on.

Thanks, Mort

wmussatto
10-03-2004, 11:43 PM
If you attach an external flash, what modes allow a gain up for framing?

I supsect I would have to set the flash to the same apature as the camera. Is it smart enough to use say 1/60 when you flash and assume the flash will meet the apature requieremnt?

Bill

genece
10-04-2004, 06:24 AM
It is my experience with both the FZ10 and 20 that if you use a normal amount of light in your house. ( normal is the question ) Say a couple of 100 watt bulbs in a living room the cameras will work just fine, add another 100 watt bulb and you do not need the flash.

wmussatto
10-04-2004, 09:45 AM
:rolleyes: Thanks. I guess its not as good as the Sony MiniDV camcorder. I use that when the light is too dark for my eye's to see in a church... Actually, I'm just concerned that its good enough the frame the picture. I would have expected it to gain up in the A mode when used with an external flash since it isn't the camera's job to ensure there is enough light in that setup.

Thanks again.

Bill