PDA

View Full Version : Wide-angle vignette effect

bonni
10-27-2005, 10:42 PM
I recently got myself a .45x wide angle lens advertised to work specifically with my camera (a Kodak z740). It does fit, and it does work, but I have a problem with getting an unwanted vignette effect in the corners whenever I use the lens.

I do use the lens on a "landscape" setting or other "infinite focus" setting as recommended by the manufacturer, but I still get the problem.

Any advice on how to avoid this problem, or is it something that's just inherent to wide-angle lenses and/or some cameras?

bonni

Norm in Fujino
10-28-2005, 05:42 AM
Any advice on how to avoid this problem, or is it something that's just inherent to wide-angle lenses and/or some cameras?

I don't know your particular camera, but I think you've nailed it. If you're shooting at wide angle, vignetting is quite common, and the only way to (possibly) avoid it is to stop shooting at wide angle--which sort of defeats the purpose of the add-on lens after all, right?
First of all, be sure you don't have any other add-on lenses mounted (UV, etc.), then there are only a couple or three solutions I can think of: 1) get a different add-on lens, one that is thinner so doesn't stick out so far or 2) crop the darkened portion, or 3) if it isn't too dark, add come vignetting compensation in Photoshop.

bonni
10-28-2005, 05:47 AM
I've been just cropping the corners out. It's not so huge that I can't do that (i.e., I don't lose a lot of the image).

Funny thing is that I was going through some pictures I took recently with the macro lens and a few of those have the same effect. Heh.

I'm thinking it's just something inherent in the lens/camera or combination, and it seems to be more noticible in certain kinds of light (I haven't yet worked out precisely which lighting effects cause it to be more noticible).

Ah, well. Even with cropping the edges, I get more in the image than I would have without the wide-angle, so it's a fair enough trade-off, I guess.

bonni

coldrain
10-28-2005, 05:58 AM
can you post a sample photo of the vignetting? of you do not see the edges blackened, stopping down the aperture (higher number) may help a bit in reducing the vignetting.

bonni
10-29-2005, 02:35 AM
I've kept this a bit big so the effect is easily visible. All four corners are darkened, as you can see.

ktixx
11-04-2005, 07:36 PM
Those four dark corners are from the inside of your lense. If I put a UV filter and Polarizer on my lense at the same time and shoot at 18mm (28.8mm w/ crop factor) I get the same thing. As norm said with the lense combo you have this is most likely this is inevitable..
Good luck
Ken