PDA

View Full Version : confused about transfer rates on SD cards

Mike C.
10-01-2004, 11:27 PM
OK. So now that I setted on a camera (FZ20), I need memory.

5 meg camera, I figure I wanted a 512 card.

I was looking at a Sandisk II, Lexar or Kingmax but then I read something about only Panasonic and Simpletech use the same components (most of the others use Sandisk parts).

There was a note (on another forum) saying Panasonic cameras "perfer" panasonic or simpletech cards.

The simpletech pro x is rated at 10 MB/sec read and write. The 256 cards seem to be affordable but the 512 meg is pricy!

Then I searched under Panasonic. 256 cards for about $40 and 512 for $100 - $200. The one panasonic I found for $100 said 10 MB/sec write and 9 MB/sec read. The others just said 10MB/sec max or nothing at all. One card even said 10MB/sec at one point and then 2 MB/sec at another point in the same add!

Are the Panasonics and Simletech cards equal or ??? Is there differenct part #'s for the panasonic cards (is there different speed panasonic cards)?

Is one 512 card better or two 256 cards?

Any suggestions? :)

Thanks .... Mike

Mike C.
10-02-2004, 12:15 AM
After a little more looking on the web I see the 512 Simpletech has been discontinued.

Panasonic lists it's 512 card as 8 MB/sec write and 10 MB/sec read.

I don't understand the 26x vs 45x vs 60x.

I found a card with 10 MB/sec read/write with a 26X rating and one with a 9 MB/sec read/write with a 60x rating ....why?

Thanks again .... Mike

D70FAN
10-02-2004, 08:31 AM
After a little more looking on the web I see the 512 Simpletech has been discontinued.

Panasonic lists it's 512 card as 8 MB/sec write and 10 MB/sec read.

I don't understand the 26x vs 45x vs 60x.

I found a card with 10 MB/sec read/write with a 26X rating and one with a 9 MB/sec read/write with a 60x rating ....why?

Thanks again .... Mike

Mike, While the FZ series can take advantage of moderately fast SD cards, anything above 20X will be deminishing returns. Your camera will only transfer to the flash card at about 1.5MB (or less) per second, so for normal single shot mode you will not see a difference. Even my D70 will only transfer at about 4MB/sec. and it is one of the top 3 cameras for buffer to flash transfers on the market.

I would recommend buying a smaller (256MB) high speed card (40X or above) for the times when you want to use continuous shooting mode (and just to make yourself feel better), and then a fairly cheap no-name card for everyday use (Fry's Electronics has 256MB SD cards for $14.99 after rebate, and a 1 GB Sandisk SD for $69.99 after rebate).

genece
10-02-2004, 08:49 AM
I have one slow card a Dane Electric and it has found its way to the junk drawer..... for the little difference in price buy a fast card either 10mb/s or 42 X and you will be happy.
Newegg has a couple that are cheap Kingsmax and PQI
They work just fine in the FZ cameras, a 2 second write after a burst compared to 10 seconds for a slow card.

newegg (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-155-257&depa=1)