PDA

View Full Version : FZ3 12x zoom pics blurry-help

trish
10-01-2004, 07:31 PM
I recently got my FZ3 - I love it except I am having trouble with focus when I use the zoom to anything 8x and over. I took it to my sons soccer practice last night, opened the flash, and zoomed in from the sidelines and I couldn't get a clear shot -not one.... I came home and played with it on some indoor upclose pictures and I'm having the same problem - even with the flash on the image is out of focus. Does anyone have some suggestions on what I can do? On the indoor picturs, the AF area brackets went from small to the entire size of the screen and then there was a beep and the green focus light would flash - I can't figure it out....

wmussatto
10-01-2004, 08:25 PM
I recently got my FZ3 - I love it except I am having trouble with focus when I use the zoom to anything 8x and over. I took it to my sons soccer practice last night, opened the flash, and zoomed in from the sidelines and I couldn't get a clear shot -not one.... I came home and played with it on some indoor upclose pictures and I'm having the same problem - even with the flash on the image is out of focus. Does anyone have some suggestions on what I can do? On the indoor picturs, the AF area brackets went from small to the entire size of the screen and then there was a beep and the green focus light would flash - I can't figure it out....
Is the OIS mode set to 2? Sorry I don't have that camera. If you can't get help here you might try www.dpreview.com's forums. There are several FZ3 users there.

Dave Dilks
10-01-2004, 08:56 PM
Let's try to narrow down what the problem may be, either: 1) The camera is not focusing properly or 2) Your shutter speed is too slow. Poor lighting at evening soccer practice and indoor shots may be leading to slow shutter speeds; do you know what shutter speeds you were using? I'd suggest trying some outdoor shots with stationary objects in good lighting -which should give you fast shutter speeds - to find out if it is focusing properly or not. If those are blurry, there may be a problem with your camera. If they are sharp then the problem is likely related to shutter speed, which you can address with the manual controls of your camera.

Another note, the flash will only help you at fairly short distances; it's unlikely to provide any benefit when shooting from the sidelines of a soccer field. That doesn't explain why your indoor flash pictures were blurry, but let's solve this one step at atime.

trish
10-01-2004, 10:38 PM
Is the OIS mode set to 2? Sorry I don't have that camera. If you can't get help here you might try www.dpreview.com's forums. There are several FZ3 users there.

Thanx! I will try that forum - and see what they say.

trish
10-01-2004, 10:43 PM
Let's try to narrow down what the problem may be, either: 1) The camera is not focusing properly or 2) Your shutter speed is too slow. Poor lighting at evening soccer practice and indoor shots may be leading to slow shutter speeds; do you know what shutter speeds you were using? I'd suggest trying some outdoor shots with stationary objects in good lighting -which should give you fast shutter speeds - to find out if it is focusing properly or not. If those are blurry, there may be a problem with your camera. If they are sharp then the problem is likely related to shutter speed, which you can address with the manual controls of your camera.

Another note, the flash will only help you at fairly short distances; it's unlikely to provide any benefit when shooting from the sidelines of a soccer field. That doesn't explain why your indoor flash pictures were blurry, but let's solve this one step at atime.

Okay...I did take some outdoor pictures of a plant and they did turn out perfect. So I guess it would be the slow shutter speed....how do I fix that? Can it be done in the "heart" mode or will I need to change to the P, S, or M mode each time I want to zoom in? I actually did try taking the indoor 12x zoom picture in the Macro mode, but the picture was still blurry.

Jayde
10-02-2004, 05:19 AM
Trish
HI

FZ3 has a sports mode.. < any movement..

set to SCN (scene)mode on top dial
next
press menu button on back
then find >sport in the viewer on the back..

Also
find the stabilizer set it to mode 2..

Use the simple (heart) mode.. or A (Automatic) mode
for everday pics..> flowers (non movement)
any faster movement you need that SCN mode - sports / fireworks etc
see the manual.. :)

your FZ3 MAY NOT FOCUS at full 12x zoom if object is TOO CLOSE even on a football pitch so zoom in / out... looking thru the eyepiece
( too close = being near your touchline )
but you prolly had it in wrong mode.. macro etc

FZ3 definitley WONT EVER focus with MACRO at full 12x zoom.. across a room
cos
macro is ONLY for close up work. ie insects etc..

btw take lots of shots cos sports/movement is hard to capture
good luck..

read it agin

judge9847
10-02-2004, 06:48 AM
I'm just wondering if somehow the FOCUS switch on the side of the lens has been set to MF (MANUAL FOCUS) and not AF (AUTO FOCUS).

You should probably normally be using it set to AF but get ready to use the MF as your experience with the camera increases.

Other than that, there have been some solid suggestions about what the problem might otherwise be.

genece
10-02-2004, 09:39 AM
You said something about the brackets in the viewfinder getting large, Maybe if it is like the FZ20 it has shifted to a different type of focus put it back to spot focus and try that. I do not like the 9 point or 3 point focus, maybe I just need to practice with it more, but it seems to pick something other than what I want to focus on.

trish
10-02-2004, 11:04 AM
Trish
HI

FZ3 has a sports mode.. < any movement..

set to SCN (scene)mode on top dial
next
press menu button on back
then find >sport in the viewer on the back..

Also
find the stabilizer set it to mode 2..

Use the simple (heart) mode.. or A (Automatic) mode
for everday pics..> flowers (non movement)
any faster movement you need that SCN mode - sports / fireworks etc
see the manual.. :)

your FZ3 MAY NOT FOCUS at full 12x zoom if object is TOO CLOSE even on a football pitch so zoom in / out... looking thru the eyepiece
( too close = being near your touchline )
but you prolly had it in wrong mode.. macro etc

FZ3 definitley WONT EVER focus with MACRO at full 12x zoom.. across a room
cos

btw take lots of shots cos sports/movement is hard to capture
good luck..

read it agin

Thank you so much - I will go to his game this afternoon and give it a try. Am I understanding you correctly, thou, with the Macro mode never focusing at 12x zoom? why is that? Thanx againfor all the info! Really appreciate it!

trish
10-02-2004, 11:06 AM
You said something about the brackets in the viewfinder getting large, Maybe if it is like the FZ20 it has shifted to a different type of focus put it back to spot focus and try that. I do not like the 9 point or 3 point focus, maybe I just need to practice with it more, but it seems to pick something other than what I want to focus on.

I have not tried the 9 or 3 point focus, but I agree with you, sometimes what it chooses to focus on, is not what I had in mind - I think the more I play around with it, the more at ease I'll become with everything it can do....patience is a furture!!!

Jayde
10-02-2004, 11:13 AM
Trish
macro setting alters the lens focus so much that it only magnifies at v v close distance.. (inches only or less) for taking pics of ants eyeballs etc
wont work across a room
dont worry tho
go injoy the sport mode.. :)
hope he wins

trish
10-02-2004, 12:24 PM
Trish
macro setting alters the lens focus so much that it only magnifies at v v close distance.. (inches only or less) for taking pics of ants eyeballs etc
wont work across a room
dont worry tho
go injoy the sport mode.. :)
hope he wins

THANX!!

Hey thanx for the eyeball tip, that very thing was next on my list of photos I've always wanted to shoot!!! :)