PDA

View Full Version : Canon s410 CF write speed?

sndbyte
10-01-2004, 06:23 PM
Does anyone know what the maximum speed that the Canon s410 can write to the CF card is?

I've searched various websites and I can't find an answer. I'm going to buy a new 512mb CF card and I don't want to buy a high speed card that my camera cannot take advantage of. I seem to remember reading that many cameras cannot take advantage of the super high speed cards that are now coming out.

thanks!

Jeff Keller
10-01-2004, 07:11 PM
Does anyone know what the maximum speed that the Canon s410 can write to the CF card is?

I've searched various websites and I can't find an answer. I'm going to buy a new 512mb CF card and I don't want to buy a high speed card that my camera cannot take advantage of. I seem to remember reading that many cameras cannot take advantage of the super high speed cards that are now coming out.

thanks!

I want to say 2.5MB/sec but don't quote me on that.

sndbyte
10-01-2004, 09:33 PM
If it is 2.5MB/sec, does that mean there is no reason to get a card faster than 3x speed?

thanks

Jeff Keller
10-01-2004, 10:50 PM
If it is 2.5MB/sec, does that mean there is no reason to get a card faster than 3x speed?

thanks

I was told by a Canon person who knows such things that high speed cards are a waste of money on the PowerShot cameras.

D70FAN
10-02-2004, 07:54 AM
I was told by a Canon person who knows such things that high speed cards are a waste of money on the PowerShot cameras.

At 2.5MB/sec that would make it faster than the DReb and the 1Ds.

A very good reference:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

All of the tested cameras/memory cards are in the small pull-down box on the upper right of the page.

LoveOfSelene
10-02-2004, 01:54 PM

Yes, very true. Powershot's camera's buffer to media speed is about ~1 MB (maybe faster if lucky). Which makes high speed cards useless. Canon figures that Why put fast Buffer to Media speeds on consumer cameras? It would just cost them money.

The s410 writes at 2.5mb/sec??? i doubt my s400 even writes that fast w/ a 32x card in it.
was that another improvement on the ELPH?

~LoveOfSelene

Jeff Keller
10-02-2004, 06:59 PM
Yes, very true. Powershot's camera's buffer to media speed is about ~1 MB (maybe faster if lucky). Which makes high speed cards useless. Canon figures that Why put fast Buffer to Media speeds on consumer cameras? It would just cost them money.

The s410 writes at 2.5mb/sec??? i doubt my s400 even writes that fast w/ a 32x card in it.
was that another improvement on the ELPH?

~LoveOfSelene

Okay I must be wrong then... maybe George is right. I do stand by the "no high speed card is needed" story though :confused:

LoveOfSelene
10-02-2004, 08:06 PM
's all good.
that would be nice if the powershot series wrote at 2.5mb/sec :)

~LoveOfSelene

gcmoryc
10-02-2004, 09:55 PM
Am I understanding the thread correctly, when I conclude that the S410 and S500 are unable to take advantage of faster CF memory?

I am on the verge of purchasing either the S410 or S500 (waiting on DCR's review of the Fuji E550...) -- and would like to know what card to go with once I get a camera. Thereby, I am fine with going with the cheapes CF, correct? The speed of CF will not make a difference, right?