PDA

View Full Version : Nikon 8800 or Panasonic FZ20 ?

digicam nut
10-01-2004, 04:48 PM
Hi everyone,
I am looking into purchasing a new digicam and like both the FZ20 and the soon to be released CP8800. Does anyone have any opinions on how these camera's would compare in real-life ? At the moment I am using a Nikon F90 (film camera) but like the idea of digital photography....however there are so many choices, what is a guy to do ?
I am getting more and more into photography so I would be using the camera in as many ways possible (eg. macro, sports, landscapes, night shots, holiday snaps etc.)

Any thoughts on how these two cameras would fare against each other would be appreciated :)

JosephR_TN
10-06-2004, 05:31 AM
Hi,

I had a Nikon Fe-2 SLR and recently sold it on eBay. I've had a few different major brand digicams, and recently got a Nikon digicam. Well, the Nikon is IMHO the BEST digicam. I got a little Nikon Coolpix 2100 and am VERY impressed with the images this cam takes. :D

I don't know much about Panasonic cams, but Nikon has made great photos for years and they continue to make great cameras in digital as well. I'd go for the Nikon if I were you. I don't think you'll be sorry. I'm sticking with Nikon from now on. I love the vivid, accurate colors and sharp, clean, images.

Joe

John_Reed
10-06-2004, 07:16 AM
Hi everyone,
I am looking into purchasing a new digicam and like both the FZ20 and the soon to be released CP8800. Does anyone have any opinions on how these camera's would compare in real-life ? At the moment I am using a Nikon F90 (film camera) but like the idea of digital photography....however there are so many choices, what is a guy to do ?
I am getting more and more into photography so I would be using the camera in as many ways possible (eg. macro, sports, landscapes, night shots, holiday snaps etc.)
Any thoughts on how these two cameras would fare against each other would be appreciated :)You might find it useful, as I did, to go to the "Reviews" section of this site and select both cameras for a "side by side" comparison. Zoom-wise, although the 8800 has only a 350mm maximum effective focal length, I calculated that because of its greater pixel density, it's able to fully capture an FZ20's fully zoomed image within its larger pixel field. The biggest drawback for the 8800 I could see is that its lens is almost two stops slower than the FZ20's at max. focal length (f5.2, compared to f2.8). However, the Nikon does offer RAW file format, which the FZ20 does not, which is a great advantage, I understand, when you're post-processing photo images, should you like to take the time to do that sort of thing. Weight-wise, the 8800 is slightly heavier than the FZ20, but that's no big deal. Also, if you're into making movies with your DC, the Nikon offers a 640X480 video format, whereas the FZ20's videos are shot at only 320X240.

All that said, I started out in the digital camera field with a Nikon CoolPix 990 over 4 years ago, and though I lost it, I still have a Nikon CoolPix 4500. Since I started shooting the Panasonic FZ1 (and now the FZ10), my 4500 is relegated to doing only slide copying. Otherwise, it's gathering dust. The FZs are just so much more easy to use, and so much more fun and versatile with that excellent f2.8 lens providing sharp photos corner to corner at any focal length (the stabilizer helps there!). With its long and capable zoom lens, you learn to "crop in the camera" for composition, using the zoom control as a composition tool. A great majority of my photos never get cropped or post-processed.

But I'd have to say that the 8800 offers the potential to give the same kind of fun (except possibly for the slower lens). I've seen one page of 8800 photos, and they looked pretty good. Personally, if you're not in a hurry, I'd wait until Jeff Keller (or someone else you trust) publishes a review of the 8800 before leaping off into the abyss of making a choice. There is the little niggling factor of price, >US$400 different up here above the Equator, but that may not be a factor for you, as it doesn't sound like you'll be changing cameras soon after your purchase!

I hope that helps.

Kevin_H
11-01-2004, 02:43 AM
I recently got my mits on a Nikon 8800 purchased as my first digital camera after Kodak withdrawing support for Kodachrome in Australia.

Purchase was through Digitalrev on EBay - import into Australia from Hong-Kong. Had fun getting it through Australian customs.

First impressions are:
Picture quality impressive
Motorised zoom hard to use as it tends to overshoot
Does everything I would want in camera

I don't know how it would compare with other cameras.

Hope this is useful

Adamzx3
11-02-2004, 10:48 PM
I want to buy some Training DVD's for photoshop digital darkroom kinda stuff....does anyone know of somem good ones? preferably PS 8/CS

haikai
11-04-2004, 06:50 AM
I want to buy some Training DVD's for photoshop digital darkroom kinda stuff....does anyone know of somem good ones? preferably PS 8/CS

check out:

http://www.totaltraining.com/

they sell dvd training for a number of programs. their photoshop cs section even has a digital photography volume. i have not seen any of the photoshop related videos, but i have seen some of the premiere ones (premiere is another adobe product) and i can say that i was pleased with the instruction quality. i don't know if any of these disks will go in as much depth as you might be looking for, but i thought i'd throw this out there.

my personal opinion is that the photoshop instruction doesn't have to be specific to digital darkroom. whatever you can learn about photoshop from any source will help because at the end of the day, we're just manipulating pixels, and the best results don't always come from the tools you think you should be using.

hai