PDA

View Full Version : xD Photo Cards - any benefits?

gcmoryc
10-01-2004, 09:10 AM
I understand that xD Photo Cards are an expensive ($$$) choice -- are they better in any way?

I know that they are smaller in physical size -- can anyone shed some light on the differences between xD vs. SD vs. CF vs. Memory Stick in terms of writing/reading speed and battery concumption/voltage requirenments?

I am considering the Fuji F550 -- it uses xD cards.
Is there are reason for the huge price difference for these cards :confused:

Rhys
10-01-2004, 09:27 AM
I understand that xD Photo Cards are an expensive ($$$) choice -- are they better in any way?

I know that they are smaller in physical size -- can anyone shed some light on the differences between xD vs. SD vs. CF vs. Memory Stick in terms of writing/reading speed and battery concumption/voltage requirenments?

XD cards are something that Fuji and Olympus designed when they realised that SmartMedia was too big and because they want to corner the market in memory cards. The fact is that only Fuji and Olympus cameras will use XD. Nothing else will take it.

SD/MM cards are pretty universal - many PDAs will take them as will some mobile phones. They're pretty universal.

Compact Flash is the most universal memory type as most computers will take them - most laptops will take them in the PCMCIA socket via a straight through wired adaptor. CF are really compact PCMCIA flash memory. They'
re available in much larger sizes than SD and are the choice of the professionals.

Memory Stick is a funky little thing that Sony designed that will fit only Sony products.

All claim to have one advantage or another. I would guide users against manufacturers funcy specials as they tend to be more expensive and if you subsequently change your camera then you'll have to go through the buying more memory cards routine all over again.

I use Nikon and Canon - they share the same memory cards.

One thing I would suggest - think of the future and buy the biggest memory cards you can possibly afford. That way, you'll still be able to use them when it's time to buy a new camera - assuming it's not a funky card you go for.

Reading/writing speed varies dependent upon the card. You can get fast and slow cards for all types. I use slow cards as they're cheaper and I see no advantages from the faster ones in terms of speed (odd but true).

Battery consumption is negligible. The main consumer of power will be your camera. The card comes a long way down the line.

D70FAN
10-01-2004, 11:02 AM

SD and CF have become the two "standards" in pro photography, and most other applications such as PDA and MP3 players. Both are Better, Faster, and Cheaper than xD or Memory Stick. Rendering them unnecessary and redundant.

That doesn't mean that they don't make good cameras. It just means that if you want to change brands later, you will be buying a different batch of memory cards, so you might want to look around to see if someone else makes a similar camera using SD or CF before investing.

tempuser
10-02-2005, 02:15 AM
Hate to bring things back after it's been so long ( *googled* this thread :/ ) but there are compact flash adapters for xd so fears of wasting money on expensive flash via a change in camers isn't too dreadfull. As for speed and power consumption and stuff - I wanna know too - in detail, like a side-by-side comparison of mb/s

kgosden
10-02-2005, 07:30 PM
Well, my C5050Z takes SmartMedia, xD and CF, and my experience is that the included xD card is slower than any CF I own. I read of some similar (but more scientific) results someplace on the web as well.

And just for the record at least one Kodak, the LS755, used xD memory.

Rhys
10-03-2005, 05:08 AM
as far as adaptors go, they're generally expensive and not worthwhile.

There're CF to SM, SD, MM andXD adaptors. I wouldn't touvh any of them.

I use SD strictly for my PDA and CF for my cameras.

stevage
10-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Well, my Fuji FinePix F10 obviously takes XD cards but I don't see that it's a major drama. It'd be nice if it took SD because my laptop has an SD slot, but it's not difficult to download the photos off the camera with the USB2 cable. As for expensive, well, I'm considering buying a 1gig card off ebay for about 60. It's not like you're going to develop the photos and throw out the card :) I don't know about most of you but I just leave my 512 mb card in the camera until it fills up (a fair while unless I'm taking a lot of movies). How many cards are you going to need?

One thing I have noticed with XD is there seem to be some random incompatibilies between certain cards and certain readers - google for 'xd problem'. In particular, I bought a 23-in-one card reader, and it sadly couldn't read my 512mb card. It could read the 16mb card though. Both cards are genuine Olympus...so I think it's something to do with the physical architecture of 512mb XD cards.

Steve