PDA

View Full Version : FZ20 review posted!

Jeff Keller
10-01-2004, 01:05 AM
Okay boys and girls, since everyone wanted an FZ20 and I still had a jump on the competition, I went ahead and reviewed (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_fz20-review/index.shtml) the FZ20 a few weeks early! Enjoy and let me know if I screwed up (I'm sure I did).

Thanks,
Jeff

Don
10-01-2004, 02:00 AM
Takes away meny doubts.Pitty about the noise, but think the cam is worth his price.
Need a cam for outside/day photography.
Can the fz20 stay than in iso 80-100?
I mean in relation to the availible light during overcast weather.

Good job, and thanks again.

Don

Jayde
10-01-2004, 02:07 AM
Outstanding !
and the review :)
Thnx Jeff

DMC-FZ20K $519
here
http://www.datavis.com/webapp/comme...0b5d478b5a07505

Don
Yes fully manual.. you can set ISO - Aperture Priority mode / Shutter speed separate or together

AND FZ3 review in uk mag..
http://www.dcmag.co.uk/news/article/mps/UAN/477/v/1/sp/
cover states "Power zoom bargain "
"Pana floors its rivals with 12x zoom Leica lens"

against..
- Noise at high ISOs
- Tendency to blow out highlights
- Plasticky construction.

SCORED 5 GOLD STARS
:cool:

djc
10-01-2004, 02:42 AM
Takes away meny doubts.Pitty about the noise, but think the cam is worth his price.
Need a cam for outside/day photography.
Can the fz20 stay than in iso 80-100?
I mean in relation to the availible light during overcast weather.

Good job, and thanks again.

Don

I guess you can only use ISO 80-100. I do that with my Sony V1, always on ISO 100 and P.

Costas

PixChick
10-01-2004, 04:22 AM
Enjoy and let me know if I screwed up (I'm sure I did).

Thanks,
Jeff

Thanks so much for bumping this review up. I am sure a lot of people are very happy right now. You wanted to know if you "screwed up"--I think that you accidentally wrote the wrong word in the following sentence:

As was the case with the LCD, the EVF is basically usable in low light conditions since it doesn't brighten automatically.

Am I right that you meant barely useable?

Thanks again for getting this review out early!

PixChick :)

MikeCamp
10-01-2004, 07:52 AM
Above average noise levels, redeye, and barrel distortion

This is about the only thing I disagree with. How can you say above adverage? Seems the adverage cam has redeye problems and noise for the most part.. even though it's really not much. Other than that nice review.

On the S1:

With a pop-up flash, I wasn't expecting to see much redeye on the S1. Unfortunately, I guessed wrong.

As you can probably tell, things start to get pretty noisy above ISO 200

On the Olympus 765:

There's more redeye than I expected

On the Hp 945:

The distortion chart shows moderate barrel distortion

Jeff Keller
10-01-2004, 10:26 AM
This is about the only thing I disagree with. How can you say above adverage? Seems the adverage cam has redeye problems and noise for the most part.. even though it's really not much. Other than that nice review.

That's true, but I had more to complain about with those other cameras :)

skyfree
10-01-2004, 12:44 PM
compliments! great review! I'd like to see a comparison of fz20 and fz10 too.
In my opinion the real improvements are: bettere low light performance, less purple fringing. But images of fz10 were noise free.. Instead the fz20 give really noisy photos! Overall image quality seems to be similiar.. What do you think?

Payne
10-01-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff Keller
Above average noise levels, redeye, and barrel distortion

That's true, but I had more to complain about with those other cameras :)

Im agree with Mike and Totally disagree with Jeff K.
After seeing the S1 review I have to say that redeye is better controlled with the FZ20.
Regarding to barrel distorsion, I guess the FZ20 is below average according to your chart.
The only thing that Im agree with you is about noise levels.....The FZ20 is a bit above average, but I think it is so, because of the high sharp images.
Im an FZ10 user and I had the chance to compare similar shots with the Canon S1 three months ago...and definitively FZ10 beats S1...and according to Dpreview, FZ3 beats S1 too.
If somebody wants to get a telezoom DC, there's only a wise option....Panasonic FZ DCs.

Atindra
10-04-2004, 06:44 AM
MikeCamp,
You are right, if you see DX7590 review, except IS and few more manual controls in FZ-20, 7590 looks better. I dont think Jeff will disagree with me on that.

wmussatto
10-11-2004, 01:10 PM
Read somewhere and verified on my FZ20 that the best macro (i.e., biggest magnification) occurs at 3x zoom. This seems to help w/the barrel distortion in macro. I suspect it will be even greater help with the FZ3 which seemed to have more barrel distortion at extreme wide angle in macro.
Bill

b.j.c
10-13-2004, 04:02 AM
Great review. Thanks very much.

I guess you know already, but I thought it was interesting that panasonic admits to using processing to remove purple fringing and vignetting, which are it claims "inherent in every lens."

See http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/lumix/fz20/venusengine.html