PDA

View Full Version : DX7630 with Retinar Telephoto Accessory Lens

patc
09-30-2004, 08:09 PM
I was hoping to get some pointers on using the Retinar telephoto lens with the DX7630. I own this camera and find that it works quite well on its own, however, Iím experiencing BIG problems using the Retinar 37mm telephoto accessory lens.

Iím having problems focusing in both indoor and outdoor situations using this lens. I also get a blue halo around my subject outdoors and the photos are generally fuzzy. Indoors, either the entire picture exhibits a blue tint or the picture is blurry. If I try to compose the same photo indoors without using the Retinar lens, by zooming in digitally to the same relative size as the previous photo with the Retinar, the photo is as clear as a bell.

Any comments or tips would be greatly appreciated.

cardamondave
10-01-2004, 08:19 AM
I have used the Retinar wide-angle lens and adapter with my DX7630. There are two Retinar wide-angle adapters out there--one with the same threads is the older one made for the Kodak DC290. Don't use that one, the barrel distortion is terrible and it will bump up against the camera's lens.

As for your focusing problem, the camera uses a dual-sensor system: an external sensor on the camera body near the viewfinder, and a thru-the-lens sensor. If it's too dark indoors, the TTL sensor is probably not getting enough light through the Retinar accessory lens. I would turn on additional indoor lights to help it focus, or use one of those pocket laser pointers as an AF assist gadget.

Blue halo? Possibly chromatic aberration due to lens flare. Try setting the camera's ISO to a slower ISO.

Hope this helps.

-Cardamondave

patc
10-01-2004, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'll try your suggestions.

What you said about not enough light getting through to the TTL sensor makes sense... I set the AF menu option to "Accessory Lens AF" which, I think, forces the camera to use the TTL - not the external. (That's part of my frustration as a novice. There aren't any instructions in any manual for using that specific lens with the DX7630.)

I was using ISO 400 on my outdoor test shots at about 6:00 PM with nearly cloudless skies. However since I or my subject was not in direct sunlight, perhaps the problem is again not enough light getting to the TTL sensor? I'm hoping for a sunny day this weekend so I can shoot my same test subject (a white mailbox with a white post about 180-200 ft. away against a wooded background) in direct sunlight.

As for the adapter, I hope I got the right one. It's item # 1919125 on Kodak's website, and listed as a "KODAK DX7630 LENS ADAPTER".

cardamondave
10-01-2004, 10:35 AM
You have the correct Retinar lens. Hope fiddling with the ISO solves your fringing problem.