PDA

View Full Version : Help! Reduction and Quality Question

luvmytwokidzz
10-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Okay so I am some what new to digitial photography, we have an oldie but it works fine with the dogs and kids!;) I have an Olympus D-370 and working with the Camedia software that comes with it. Here is my question. My husband compressed the photos (GRRR) when the computer was about to crash, he reduced the pics to 160x120 pixels. When I try to resize so that I can print the quality is HORRIBLE!! These are pics of my babies when they were babies. :( Please help! If someone has any suggestions on how to enlarge them but keep quality I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you!

Norm in Fujino
10-10-2005, 09:04 PM
Okay so I am some what new to digitial photography, we have an oldie but it works fine with the dogs and kids!;) I have an Olympus D-370 and working with the Camedia software that comes with it. Here is my question. My husband compressed the photos (GRRR) when the computer was about to crash, he reduced the pics to 160x120 pixels. When I try to resize so that I can print the quality is HORRIBLE!! These are pics of my babies when they were babies. :( Please help! If someone has any suggestions on how to enlarge them but keep quality I would greatly appreciate it!

I don't know the ins and outs of the Camedia software (I have it but have never used it), but speaking in general, if your husband did this in order to reduce space on the computer's hard disc, he succeeded admirably, but at the cost of the photos. If he actually reduced the images to 160x120 and then saved them to the same file names, without saving the originals elsewhere, then they're gone, kapoof, and there's no way on earth (that I know of) to restore them to their original quality.

The first rule of digital photography is NEVER change and resave a photo to the same name. Always change the name by adding an extra letter or number at the end of the photoname. That way the original will remain the same, and you'll only save changes to a new file; if you decide later you don't like the changes you've made you can always go back to the original.

You might do a full search on your hard disc for some of the file names, just to see if Camedia may have saved the files elsewhere; stranger things have happened.

SilverTurtle
10-11-2005, 05:44 AM
I'm afraid Norm is correct. :(

I work in printing, and we see problems with resolution every day. Once you take the resolution away from something (or reduce it) you can't put it back (or increase it).

Even if you pull it into a program like Photoshop and use the Image Size to manually type in a higher resolution, you're not actually doing much. All the program does is add more pixels, and 'guess' at where and what color they should be - in a lot of cases making the image even worse when you print.

The human eye is amazing - you view 72dpi images on a screen all day long, and your eye and brain, with the help of the light shining through, fill in a lot of missing information. But once it's printed on a page, with no light, you really need to be at a higher resolution (minimum 150 dpi at 100%) to see something correctly.

I hope your husband backed up the originals on CD or DVD. If not, you can always preserve the digital images for viewing on screen, either through a web site or on CD/DVD.