PDA

View Full Version : (Re-) Calibrating Your Monitor

SilverTurtle
10-08-2005, 01:10 PM
I realize this isn't directly related to photography, but obviously has a lot to do with how we all view each others' and our own photos. Particularly when we're doing post-production.

I was hoping a few people could share any tips on calibrating their monitors, as mine seems to be dark, even at the brightest setting. (It's about 3 years old with a 'flat' screen). Aside from that, I've been told that as monitors age they need to be calibrated, although I've never been told how to accomplish that.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

cdifoto
10-08-2005, 01:49 PM
There are software programs available to calibrate your monitor. B&H Photo Video has one called ColorVision ColorPlus:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=324696&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

I realize this isn't directly related to photography, but obviously has a lot to do with how we all view each others' and our own photos. Particularly when we're doing post-production.

I was hoping a few people could share any tips on calibrating their monitors, as mine seems to be dark, even at the brightest setting. (It's about 3 years old with a 'flat' screen). Aside from that, I've been told that as monitors age they need to be calibrated, although I've never been told how to accomplish that.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

gracie328
10-08-2005, 05:55 PM
If you google for 'monitor calibration' you can find some basic visual ones for free. Now, they might not be the greatest, but the devices aren't cheap and the free ones might at least get you closer to reality than you are currently if you can't purchase a calibration device right away. I used the free ones because I manage to keep finding something else I want to purchase instead of a calibration tool. I don't think my monitor is too far off, so I'll tolerate it a while longer. I'll break down and buy a real tool eventually.:)

SilverTurtle
10-09-2005, 07:16 AM
Great - thanks to both of you!! :)