PDA

View Full Version : Canon EOS 350 D Vs E-500

verry
10-06-2005, 08:03 AM
I am now using C 8080, and the camera did a good job (creating high quality image).

I am thinking about moving to DSLR, and i am still confuse which one that i will pick?

I am fan of olympus But my friend suggest me to go with canon eos 350 d. I almost buy it but hear that olympus will launh e 500. Which one is better, need advice, thanks a lot

Norm in Fujino
10-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Let me give you the view from my side first ;)
If you're pleased with Olympus optics and colors, then the e-300 two-lens kit is the best dSLR value on earth right now. One reason I went with the e-300 was likewise because I had had two Oly digicams before, and was pleased with the results I got from them (back in film days all my stuff was Nikon).

As you probably already know, the e-300's not quite as fast fps as the Canon, nor does it have as good from-the-camera high ISO performance. But both it and the lenses have better build quality, and the kit lenses are optically superior, from all I've seen/heard (let your own eyes be your guide). Oly's the only maker with dust buster and in-camera pixel mapping as well.

The e-500 appears to have a few minor improvements, but IMO it is basically a minor model change meant to get the entry-level model back to the conventional shape of other dSLRs. If you want to see some images from the e-300, click on my name and look for other messages from me. Better yet, see the work posted over on My Four Thirds (http://www.myfourthirds.com). Also check out the site where it seems most Oly dSLR users hang out, Digital Photo Review (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1022). If you have specific questions, I'll be glad to answer in public or private.

Sigbhu
10-06-2005, 09:33 PM
I would wait for the E 500 and have a look for myself. The glass that comes with the E 300 and the E 500 is far superior than the rehashed EF lenses that are sodl with the XT. The E 500 seems to have a better sensor/processing, so expect lower noise and better picutre quality. Personally, i would wait and allow myself to be convinced to go for the e 500.

Sigbhu
10-06-2005, 09:53 PM
i don't know about most people here, but i'm pretty excited by the e 500...here's a link to the manualshttp://www.olympusamerica.com/files/E500RefManual-EN.pdf

verry
10-07-2005, 05:39 AM
Thanks, 4 the suggestions. Indeed that canon has better fps shot that olympus. But ia very please wtih my picture with c 8080 (i already sold it today). Hope e 500 doesn't dissapoint me because i already sold mine for it.

Sigbhu
10-08-2005, 12:06 AM
you must admit that the compettion between the e 500 and the XT is prety close...ultimately, the camera you will be happy with need not be the "superior" camera, but the one you want.

verry
10-09-2005, 04:34 AM
U are actually right.The competition is close.

Actually my heart wants to go with e-500. But my friend don't agrre with that, and told me to buy canon 350. I can't wait to read the user reviews and prove that their wrong

TheObiJuan
10-09-2005, 01:47 PM
I would wait for the E 500 and have a look for myself. The glass that comes with the E 300 and the E 500 is far superior than the rehashed EF lenses that are sodl with the XT. The E 500 seems to have a better sensor/processing, so expect lower noise and better picutre quality. Personally, i would wait and allow myself to be convinced to go for the e 500.

You keep expressing this misguided view that the E500 will beat the 350D in ISO performance. I hope Olympus has improved the ISO performance on this camera, because the predecessor's ISO samples look like the Fuji F10.

The higher end lenses, the Zuiko line, are more expensive than their canon counterparts. You will also find less oly lenses on the used market vs canon lenses and other gear.
I have saved a lot of money by buying used lenses, so I value the canon used market.

Honestly, why aren't you considering the D70, not the D70s, as it's too expensive. Some places still have the D70 available, and for cheap.