PDA

View Full Version : Canon 300D or 20D?

olias
09-28-2004, 04:43 PM
Pros and Cons. I do landscape photography as a hobby and have decided to move up to a dSLR. I'd like to purchase either the Digital Rebel or the 20D, but am having a hard time deciding between the two. Opinions?

D70FAN
09-28-2004, 05:02 PM
Pros and Cons. I do landscape photography as a hobby and have decided to move up to a dSLR. I'd like to purchase either the Digital Rebel or the 20D, but am having a hard time deciding between the two. Opinions?

If you have the extra money, get the 20D. If you want to spend a little less get the Nikon D70. If you can only afford under $1000 get the Digital Rebel.

Any of these will serve you well for landscape work.

jamison55
09-28-2004, 06:13 PM
For the price of the D70 or 20D Bodies, you can get a 300D and a few lenses...oe one really nice lens. You definitely don't lose anything in image quality with the DReb, unless you plan to blow up your pictures to poster size...the the extra MP's on the 20D might come in handy.

eagle17
09-29-2004, 11:37 AM
You definitely don't lose anything in image quality with the DReb, unless you plan to blow up your pictures to poster size...the the extra MP's on the 20D might come in handy.

This is true however you lose a few options also like FPS speed for action, extra autofocus points, mirror lockup for protraits and super highspeed, less noise thanks to improved digic chip, etc etc....

Although a really good lens is important and with out one those features would not mean much.

jamison55
09-29-2004, 12:39 PM
FPS Speed for action - Definitely better on the 20D

Extra AF Points - unless you are shooting a lot of action, you might find that they are not as important as you think. I, for one, turn off all of the AF points but the center, and compose accordingly.

MLU - Can be had on the DReb with the Russian hack.

Less noise - The DReb doesn't have much noise to begin with, certainly less than most other cameras out there...

No question that the 20D has improved upon the excellent 10D (that the DReb is derived from) in almost every way, but a lot of the benefits help sports photogs more than landscape photogs...

I think that the DReb body with the new 17-85 IS lens is a good price compromise for an excellent "kit".

olias
09-29-2004, 02:41 PM
Since I do landscape photography, I'm leaning towards the Rebel with a nice lens. Can you post a link to the lens you mentioned above jamison55? I appreciate the responses all. I'm currently shooting with a Canon S400 and before that an S230. Examples of some of the landscapes I've done can be seen on my site at www.homepage.mac.com/glurp/Digitalphotography.html

I've been very happy with the elphs, but am ready to start lugging the tripod along in my travels in order to get the more detailed and varied shots a dSLR offers.

eagle17
09-29-2004, 03:07 PM
I have seen the rebel for around the $700 price mark and I would choose a sigma EX lens over the canon is lens ...

for instance the canon is $500-$600, you can get the sigma 28mm with f/1.8 for $200 and the 70mm - 200mm f/2.8 for $675

these are the sigma pro lenses and are very good.

the Image Stabilization is pretty good though and for heavy zoom use without a tripod it really shines.

John

jamison55
09-29-2004, 06:07 PM
The new IS Lens:

http://www.adorama.com/CA1785AFSU.html?searchinfo=Canon%2017%20is&item_no=1

No price listed, but I think it is near $500.

Another nice option:

http://www.adorama.com/CA1740U.html

And the biggest bargain in lenses:

http://www.adorama.com/CA5018AF.html

it is a must have, sharp, clear, and cheap.

I think you may also want to spend the extra $100 for the Kit lens. It will definitely give you better quality than your compact camera, and is a pretty decent bargain in itself. You can then research nicer lenses for a little while before buying, and will give you an appreciation for the new lens when you buy!

jasperm
09-30-2004, 07:14 AM
Hi - Folks here are saying that the Dig Reb might not be great for sports - my version of sports is my young kids playing soccer (sort of...). No serious sports photog. Been using a G3 for that, with a hit rate of about 1/10 due to the delay.

GIven that context, will the D-Reb be adequate for this kind of action?

Thanks,
Michael

jamison55
09-30-2004, 07:49 AM
DReb will be a definite improvement over the G3 just because of the more responsive shutter of a DSLR. You may find that you are capturing shots that you missed with the G3 just because the camera takes the picture as soon as you press the button. The 4 shot burst mode is pretty good as well, but no where near as good as the 14 frames (at 3fps) that I hear the D70 gets.

Bottom line, the D70 far outshines the DReb in serious sports performance, but the DReb might suffice for the weekend soccer shooter if the price tag on the Nikon is too daunting.

Reminisce
10-10-2004, 01:52 PM
The DReb works fine for sports photography, just more relies on the skill of the photographer than the features of the camera (AI Servo comes to mind here). AI Servo is awesome in the 20D and 10D and makes taking moving shots and action shots much easier because it continuously focuses on your target as it moves. This is only available in the DR in Sports mode, or you can do it yourself manually (without the same results, but this is where the photographer's skill comes in play).

With the Russian hack you can get AI Servo but it does not work as well as the 20D because of how it functions, supposedly they are working on that *shrug*

Anyway, back on target. For landscape, you cant go wrong with either camera, they both take incredible pictures with the right lens. The DR is the best value for a DSLR camera period. The 20D is arguably the best camera for the price ($1600US), the Nikon D70 is a good second. If money is not much of an object, get the 20D and dont look back. If you are looking for more value, get the DR (900 w/kit) or the D70 (1200 w/kit) and buy a nice lens or two for your needs. You cant go wrong with either.