PDA

View Full Version : Close up Jewelelry Photographs

Benwaite
10-03-2005, 03:41 AM
Hi i am extremely new to the world of digital photography.

I purchased last year a Cannon Powershot Pro1 for close up images of rings earrings etc on the adivce of a shop assistant. I have since been informed that this is not the type of camera suitable for this type of photography.

Does anyone know what type of camera/ kit that I need to be able to takle excelent close up images. The Poershot i have has real rouble focusing close up?

tim11
10-03-2005, 05:28 PM
I'm not a professional but I believe Canon PowerShot Pro1 should do the job better than most - it has minimum macro distance of 3 cm. It should be good enough even for glossy brochures/pamphlets or even posters.
I recommend you get a tripod and [maybe but not necessary] an optional macro lens.
Have you tried MACRO mode in PRO1?

Coltess
10-03-2005, 06:11 PM
If you are going to shoot a lot of jewelry you might consider the MK Gem eBox. http://www.mkdigitaldirect.com/lighting-systems/products/mk-gem-ebox.htm

Shutterbug (October 2005, p. 82) has a favorable review of it.

tim11
10-03-2005, 08:23 PM
Notice the cameras they offer with Coltess MK Gem eBox Package, Canon A series which are no match against PRO1.

Coltess
10-03-2005, 09:45 PM
You can get the box without the camera too. :p The reviewer used it (the box) with a dSLR.

tim11
10-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Coltess, what I was really getting at was PRO1 is a good enough camera even if you buy an eBox as aid. Obviously, if vendor offer A-series in the package then PRO1 must be good enough. If you take lots of jewellry, of course, something like the eBOX will make life more easier for you.
Benwaite, you should try PRO1 in MACRO mode first if you haven't done that already. I find it hard to believe you have trouble focussing close up. It's not the camera, you just have to master that beast.
You can also try with the aid of tripod; etc. Getting an eBOX now will only compound your problem of trying to master 2 beasts instead of just one.

Benwaite
10-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Hi Guys,

I have tried in all types of light etc with the macro mode on. The closet it will get is about 10-15 cm away. I need the pictures to take up the whole page.

Some one has recommended the Nikon D70 with a 105 micro F2.8 lens. they recon this should do the trick.

Am I perhaps using the camera wrong. Which settings should I be using along with the macro setting?

Thanks for your help.

With regard to the gem box, I have a calumet caccoon whith all the kit do you think this could be a problem also?More than likely I will buy the gem box.

tim11
10-04-2005, 04:27 PM
Benwaite, first my disclaimer. I am no expert photographer, have no experience with jewellry and I don't have Canon Pro1. But I have some experience taking shots of small objects and from my understanding Nikon D70 should not make much different for your purpose. And you can also buy optional macro lens for PRO1, which you already have. And what is calumet caccoon? Is that some
sort of eBOX from different manufacturer?
It's hard to image what you have done incorrectly. Have you taken any decent jewellry shots at all? Can you post some here?
I have taken some close up shots with my Panasonic FZ20 using only a tripod and available light (no flash). Instead of Macro mode, I used Manual so I can control both aparture and shutter speed. Lighting maybe not be to my liking but as you can see it filled the frame and sharp. I only reduced the photo size for faster upload.

tim11
10-04-2005, 04:29 PM
Australian ONE dollar coin, it is about 25 mm (or 1") in diameter. I zoomed in about (2xoptical). You can see all the scratches on the coin.

tim11
10-04-2005, 04:32 PM
I have no optional lens. Only tripod and very crude setup for this test. By the way, all the shots here were done with shutter over 1 second. Object was about 3-4 cm from the lens (that's about to the best of my camera ability) and I can't believe PRO1 can't do at least the same.
I really want to see some of your shots so I can better guess what's gone wrong.