PDA

View Full Version : e 500

Sigbhu
10-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Let me confess at first: i am an olympus freak. since i lasted posted here three months ago, i have acquired three more olympuses, two of them OMs.

so, is the e 500 it? or, in other words, is is the camera that we have been waiting for? the ideal digital companion? the conqueror of canons and nikons? a cure for softness on XTs and stupidity on d70s?

based on what i can make out, the e 500 is going to fall for the same reasons the e1 didn't take off...it is a perfect camera, with just one serious flaw: the sensor. the sensor is apparently the same as used on the e300, and if so, this will lead to unnacceptable noise. high noise is already indicated in the specification sheets: despite olympus trumpeting the super "low noise" kodak sensor, ISO speeds top out at 1600. and that too on extended mode. not good enough. i expect beautiful, but horribily noisy pictures. as usual, from olympus.

Norm in Fujino
10-03-2005, 12:20 AM
based on what i can make out, the e 500 is going to fall for the same reasons the e1 didn't take off...it is a perfect camera, with just one serious flaw: the sensor. the sensor is apparently the same as used on the e300, and if so, this will lead to unnacceptable noise.

Sigh. Why don't you look at the actual images before playing harbinger of death. :mad:
I haven't heard of anyone claiming that this is meant as a replacement for the E-1 (that'll have to wait till next spring), and anyway, FWIW, I just read that in terms of noise and image quality, the E-1 has been rated one of the best night-shooting dSLRs, together with Canon's 20D and Minolta's 7D (this was posted in another forum as coming from a pro camera magazine, tho without attribution).

High noise is already indicated in the specification sheets: despite olympus trumpeting the super "low noise" kodak sensor, ISO speeds top out at 1600

Where have you been? We've known about the Kodak sensor for a year. The one intriguing thing (since it isn't released, we don't know for sure about much of anything) about the E-500 is the hint that some additional NR may have been added together with an IR-cut filter. At the higher ISOs, image (noise) quality varies a lot with exposure; I generally try to shoot at lowest possible ISOs, but I've taken ISO 1600 shots that came out beautifully (even acceptably even without additional NR in PP).

Here's one I took yesterday: e-300 + ED50-200 mm, ISO 1600, + Neatimage

http://www2.gol.com/users/nhavens/resource/PA022957_fNHa.jpg

Sigbhu
10-03-2005, 01:28 AM
never have i been happier when i am wrong. i hope i am, becasue the e 500 has great potential...the two lens deal is probably the best value for money there is.

the noise minimal? good...i like that....but surely there is universal opinion supporting high noise claims, when compared agaisnt those two giants, the 350D and the D70? sky crops at dcresource and more technical measurements at dpreview seem to confirm this...the e 300 was pretty noisy, wether that noise is evident or not, and whether it detracts from image quality is a different question. presenting a photograph taken at high ISOs is unofrtunately not suffieicent vindication of low ISOs...no camera, not even my humble olympus c 750, shows evident noise when viewed as is: 100% crops may perhaps be more suggestive.

i am glad however to hear that that e 500 will have probbaly lower noise...yippeee, hooray and all that. that was my pessimism about olympus design teams speaking.

Sigbhu
10-03-2005, 01:31 AM
let's get one fact straight: does the e 500 use a different sensor? i've read conflicting reports....

sheyingshi
10-09-2005, 04:41 PM
let's get one fact straight: does the e 500 use a different sensor? i've read conflicting reports....

Evidently it uses the same sensor as the E-300 but the signal processing has been updated. DPReview has some samples at up to ISO 1600. Download them and see what they look like to you.