PDA

View Full Version : I really need help from the Olympus experts!

kaykay
09-27-2004, 09:50 PM
Hi, I have really valued your opinions & advice in the past. With your help I have had my heart set on the Olympus C-5060 for a while now. I had planned to purchase it this past weekend, but I have come across the new camera Olympus is putting out, C-7000. The 5060 has every thing that I'm looking for, fast start up, little delay between shots, little lag time between pressing the shutter & the picture actually being taken, true to life picture & color, great image quality, not to mention the wide zoom I really like that. All that being said I wanted your opinion on the C-7000. On the Olympus site, It is about $100.00 cheaper, more zoom & mega pixel, and it's smaller, but it doesn't have the wide zoom. I don't have any camera shops around to really get hands on, so I need help from those of you who have. Please be honest, which one would you go for. Thanks for your help, KayKay :)

doady
09-28-2004, 08:37 AM
I got the 5060WZ very recently, as first camera of any kind ever, and while I don't regret my choice, I'm not sure if I would still get after all the new cameras that have been annouced recently. C5060WZ still seems the best choice though, because I like wide-angle, so i won't even consider the c7000.

kaykay
09-28-2004, 11:09 PM
doady, Thanks for the reply! I am still stuck between the 2 choices. I really am pushing towards the 5060, I Like the wide zoom & also that it takes 2 types of storage cards, as oposed to the 7000 only accepting Olympus XD cards. I was just thinking the 7000 is a brad new model, maybe it would be better, although thats not always the case. Thanks for your advice, KayKay

jamison55
09-29-2004, 09:09 AM
It appears to me as though the C7000 is intended for a different audience than the 5060 was. Until the 8080, the 5060 was Oly's prosumer model, with the c5000 taking a notch below it on the food chain. In the same way, the c7000 seems to have fewer features than Oly's present prosumer model, the 8080.

Your decision should be based upon what features are important to you. If you are serious about photography, the 5060 might be a better choice just because of the hot-shoe. I have yet to find a built in flash that is powerful enough to not need an external at important events where the actions is more than a few feet away. I used a $30 Sunpak flash with my 5050, and the difference was amazing.

The rotatable LCD is a nice feature as well...

kaykay
09-29-2004, 04:46 PM
jamison55, Thanks for your advice. I think in the end I will stick with the 5060 like I had originally planned to. Thanks for your help, KayKay

Hend
10-13-2004, 02:03 AM
KayKay..i know exactly what you mean!! I'm in the same situation that you're in...what should i get the 5060 or the c7000???

did you get yours by now???

i think these two cameras are very similar with a few differences...what i like about the c7000 is it's size as it's very convenient..it looks cool too..but the 5060 has two advantages - 1. it has wide angle
2. you can use two cards instead of one

my question is though: why is wide angle important for some people???
what is it's purpose???

sorry if this question seems dumb but i'm no pro in digicams...though i do enjoy taking photos of my family and of landscapes and scenery.

Could someone please give me some insight?

John_Reed
10-14-2004, 06:15 AM
my question is though: why is wide angle important for some people???
what is it's purpose???Wide angle is important for capturing as much "scenery" as possible in a photo. Suppose you're standing in your living room, and you want a shot of the whole room. So you crank back the lens to wide angle, as wide as you can get it. If your minimum focal length is, say, 35mm, it just may not be possible to grab the whole room in one shot, but if it's 28mm, you can. There's a distortion of perspective with wide angle that advertisers sometimes use to their advantage. That is, things near to the camera look huge, things a little further away start looking overly small. So ads that show that huge suite you'll be enjoying for $49/night usually have a wide angle shot of a little room that looks like a ballroom! Outside, a wide angle lens lets you capture more scenery with one shot. I hope that answers your question.

Hend
10-14-2004, 12:55 PM
Thanks John Reed...that really was very helpful...i appreciate your help :)

Thanks alot!

kaykay
10-14-2004, 07:49 PM
Hend, I am ordering it (the 5060) some time next week! I am really excited, and can hardly wait. I spoke to a friend who has had just over a week and she loves it. :)