PDA

View Full Version : best kind of memory card to go with a 300d?

shirtz
09-27-2004, 06:12 PM
hey guys,

possibly getting a 300d soon and am trying to sort through the thousands of memory cards that go with it to find the best (fastest read/write). what do you guys use/recommend? i was thinking a 512mb.

cheers!

LoveOfSelene
09-27-2004, 06:34 PM
I recomend 512 and larger card for a D-SLR.
For the speed, it doesn't really matter, unless you going to use burst mode..
You should be fine with a 4x (i use 4x's with my 10D and it does fine...exept in burst mode), 4x's are really cheap in price compaired to the faster ones.
If you have the money, why not shoot out for a 12x.
In my opinion, you really don't need anything over 12x..unless your doing wedding photography or something like sports where time counts.

Hope this helps.

~LoveOfSelene

shirtz
09-27-2004, 06:43 PM
thanks for the quick reply!

what brands would you recomend?

LoveOfSelene
09-28-2004, 06:12 PM
thanks for the quick reply!

what brands would you recomend?

I only use Lexar Media...some reason i got attached to that company for media...lol :) if you buy the 12x up it's lifetime warrenty too.

Uh from what i heard from customers at the shop, Scan Disk is also good.
I yet to try them.

Hope this helps.

~Loveofselene

D70FAN
09-28-2004, 07:39 PM
hey guys,

possibly getting a 300d soon and am trying to sort through the thousands of memory cards that go with it to find the best (fastest read/write). what do you guys use/recommend? i was thinking a 512mb.

cheers!

Unfortunately, the 300d doesn't get faster with cards over about 24X. Buffer to flash transfer rate is among the slowest for dSLR's. The brand really does not matter, buy what's on sale.

For reference:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6425

512MB is a good size and holds about 150 shots in JPEG fine.

D70FAN
09-28-2004, 07:47 PM
I only use Lexar Media...some reason i got attached to that company for media...lol :) if you buy the 12x up it's lifetime warrenty too.

Uh from what i heard from customers at the shop, Scan Disk is also good.
I yet to try them.

Hope this helps.

~Loveofselene

Note: It doesn't matter which brand you buy. And for reference it's SanDisk. I have used about every brand I can think of, in the past 6 years, and the only failure was a Kingston 64MB CF I a couple of years ago.

The list:

SanDisk
Kingston
PQI
bsa
Lexar
Delkin
Simple Tech

I used them all in my D70 with good results. And most in my 990 with equal success.

I use an Ultra II (I only need 1) when shooting action (sports, racing, lightning, etc.) but the D70 can actually use the speed. Most cameras, including the 300D, can't.

For reference:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

jay
10-08-2004, 12:00 AM
Unfortunately, the 300d doesn't get faster with cards over about 24X. Buffer to flash transfer rate is among the slowest for dSLR's. The brand really does not matter, buy what's on sale.

For reference:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6425

512MB is a good size and holds about 150 shots in JPEG fine.

Wow!

I really disagree with this statement! sorry.

I shoot tons of burst images and owned a few of the lexar 4x 1gig cards and found them to be useless against the Sandisk Extreame 512 + cards. I can shoot 6-7 images in burst before it starts writing. The card writes at 66x !

Here's the card overview (http://www.sandisk.com/retail/ext-cf.asp)

Sorry, not trying to step on any toes, I know I'm a noobie, but I shoot a ton and found these cards work the best

meng-chieh
10-09-2004, 09:40 PM
I have got the D Reb using a Lexar 40x 512 MB CF card, and I've also tried it against the 80x card. To be honest, I think there WAS a difference - but it's VERY VERY small; I doubt one would actually notice it while shooting for real. As for the size, 512 lets me take 157 shots under large Jpeg fine (6.3 MP). Overall, I don't think that you can go wrong as long as the media is faster than 12x. Good luck and enjoy the D Reb!

D70FAN
10-10-2004, 01:15 AM
Wow!

I really disagree with this statement! sorry.

I shoot tons of burst images and owned a few of the lexar 4x 1gig cards and found them to be useless against the Sandisk Extreame 512 + cards. I can shoot 6-7 images in burst before it starts writing. The card writes at 66x !

Here's the card overview (http://www.sandisk.com/retail/ext-cf.asp)

Sorry, not trying to step on any toes, I know I'm a noobie, but I shoot a ton and found these cards work the best

Did you bother reading the information at Rob Galbraiths site? I also said that there is not much advantage using cards above 24X (not 4X).

While the card you are using is capable of 66X the camera can only transfer at about 1.3MB/sec. Which isn't even close to 66X.

Even though the article says that the DReb will benefit by using the fastest card, in reality the return is not worth the investment and the difference between a 32X card and an 80X card is about 10%, and means nothing.

The difference between a 4X card and a 32X card is significant as the DReb can transfer at that speed and is about a 40% speed gain. So you are correct that the 4X to 66X gain is significant, but the gain after 24X-32X is not.

Even with the extremely good transfer speed of my D70 (over 4MB/sec.) most of the time I use very low cost, non-speed rated, flash cards. I have one 256MB Ultra II that I pop in for shooting continuous mode. The rest of the time it's a waste of money, as I can shoot as fast as I can frame (about 1 frame per second).

Reminisce
10-10-2004, 01:31 PM
With a Dreb the only benefit there is of getting a faster CF card is for transferring to your computer through the CF card reader. You can get a Sandisk 512 Ultra II for about 60 at Newegg.com and its a 60x max transfer card, 60x is about a 9MB/s transfer rate max. This is beneficial when you are transferring a lot of images over to your computer through a USB 2.0 Card Reader which can transfer over 400MB/s through the USB 2.0 port. If you have RAW images at about 9MB a piece, you'll understand.

The DReb does have a relatively slow write speed compared to other DSLRs, so if you dont transfer a lot of images constantly through a Card reader, then save 10 bucks or so and get a lower speed card. I got an Ultra II card because I usually snap 100-200 pics every day on my card and transferring them to my desktop or laptop takes little to no time for me.

Just remember: 1x = 150k/s. Work your way up from there.

jay
10-10-2004, 02:20 PM
Did you bother reading the information at Rob Galbraiths site? I also said that there is not much advantage using cards above 24X (not 4X).

While the card you are using is capable of 66X the camera can only transfer at about 1.3MB/sec. Which isn't even close to 66X.

Even though the article says that the DReb will benefit by using the fastest card, in reality the return is not worth the investment and the difference between a 32X card and an 80X card is about 10%, and means nothing.

The difference between a 4X card and a 32X card is significant as the DReb can transfer at that speed and is about a 40% speed gain. So you are correct that the 4X to 66X gain is significant, but the gain after 24X-32X is not.

Even with the extremely good transfer speed of my D70 (over 4MB/sec.) most of the time I use very low cost, non-speed rated, flash cards. I have one 256MB Ultra II that I pop in for shooting continuous mode. The rest of the time it's a waste of money, as I can shoot as fast as I can frame (about 1 frame per second).

No sorry I didn't bother to read what the resource has to say. I judge it based off my shooting. I've got tons of time shooting with the rebel and I need speed output. I can't have a model sitting waiting for slow write speeds. When i said I disagree, I'm saying I disagree from MY WORKING point of view. I have a few Lexar 1gigs, a few Simpletechs, regular sandisk cards and the Extreame. All I can do is measure from those that I have and I will say there is a HUGE difference in write time. With the extreame, I have very little burst write time.

So again, my comments are based off my working knowledge, not what some site says. Take what I say with a grain of salt, I just says what works for me.

shirtz
10-10-2004, 03:23 PM
well i just purchaced a sandisk ultra 2 1gig card. im sure it will cover all of my needs. thanks guys!