PDA

View Full Version : How to set a black ground?

cosmo
09-28-2005, 05:25 PM
What methods work for setting up a black/dark background for portrait photos in an indoor/home location?

A black cloth, wall come to mind as a potential option?

jamison55
09-28-2005, 06:16 PM
I bought a black piece of velvet from a local fabric store.

Bill Markwick
09-28-2005, 10:17 PM
What methods work for setting up a black/dark background for portrait photos in an indoor/home location?

A black cloth, wall come to mind as a potential option?

As Jamison55 said, black velvet. The problem with black background paper rolls from camera stores is that they're anything but black - the ones I tested were only one stop below a grey card.

Regards,
Bill

TheObiJuan
09-28-2005, 11:49 PM
Once you done in post just up the level on the right to darken the black background.

cosmo
09-29-2005, 09:14 PM
Once you done in post just up the level on the right to darken the black background.

What do you mean?

cosmo
09-29-2005, 09:16 PM
I bought a black piece of velvet from a local fabric store.

Thanks. Is there any way to create the lighter color area on the fabric where the head area is aligned.

TheObiJuan
09-30-2005, 02:34 AM
What do you mean?

In photoshop, use the adjustment>levels, then click on the left slider and move it over to get the background pure black, usually 3-10 will do it for my pictures with dark backgrounds.

aparmley
09-30-2005, 07:06 PM
The other guys here may know better than me, but sometimes with a dark background the subjects hair tends to blend into it, so you may want to think about a light source to use as what people call a Hair light. its placed low and behind the person, I don't know the direction of light, but its purpose is to highlight the back of the head so that in the photograph you have a nice defined hair line, instead of the blending that might occur. . . maybe worth looking into?

gary_hendricks
10-01-2005, 10:40 PM
One trick you can do is to shoot your subject against a blue or green backdrop.
Then jump into Photoshop, edit out the blue background and copy and paste the subject onto a black image. Simple? ;)