PDA

View Full Version : Canon S2IS fast action shots

justjoan
09-27-2005, 12:40 PM
I have been reading the manual and all your forums and reviews for the past month! Still learning, & have not actually used my new camera. What is the best way to take a fast action shot of my daughter dancing at a wedding? I bought this camera because my point and shoot could not capture her dancing without a horrible blur!! Thanks. :confused:

swgod98
09-27-2005, 01:23 PM
There's probably more experienced people who can respond for you, but I'll tell you what I know. When I capture outdoor pictures at my brothers soccer game, I set the camera to Av 3.5 aperture, ISO 50, and it selects an exposure time well fast enough for my shots. Of course, outdoors I have very good lightning.

Perhaps you will have more luck setting the camera to Tv, and setting the exposure time to a value that will work for your lighting. If there isn't good lighting, you might have to up the ISO in the camera. 100 and 200 I find decent enough, but 400 kind of kills the mood, so to speak.

If you feel brave enough, you can also try Manual mode. Set the aperture to 3.5 (or less if you're not going to be zooming much - can't imagine if it's indoors...?). Then set your exposure as you would if it were in Tv mode. Also, if you can refrain from zooming to much, it should help by keeping the aperture larger and allowing more light through.

If you find your shots are too dark, you can set the exposure to a higher (ie slower) value, or up the ISO, and try again. If it's too blurry, try upping the ISO and/or lowering (ie faster) the exposure time. Trial and error :) I think as long as you know your camera and it's settings, you can adjust on the fly until you have something that's working for the situation/environment at hand.

I recommend you test the camera out in your house (both during the day and at night with lights on). Check the settings that work and don't. It will help you learn the camera.

JTL
09-27-2005, 01:35 PM
I have been reading the manual and all your forums and reviews for the past month! Still learning, & have not actually used my new camera. What is the best way to take a fast action shot of my daughter dancing at a wedding? I bought this camera because my point and shoot could not capture her dancing without a horrible blur!! Thanks. :confused:To aboulutely "freeze" action, you need a shutter speed of at least 1/500 sec...so I would set the camera to Tv mode at 1/500. Now, the downside to this (there's always a downside, you know) will be that the camera will be forced to pick a wider aperture, which will mean less depth-of-field (less area of focus) and a higher ISO (the higher the ISO setting, the more "noise" in the photo). And even then, depending on the lighting, the pictures may be too dark if indoors. Of course, if you use the flash on auto (and perhaps even a supplemental flash depending on the situation), you'll have little to worry about. My strong recommendation is to practice the situation and test shoot long before the actual event...it's too important to leave to chance...

justjoan
09-29-2005, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to play with the camera at a cross country meet today, no biggie, and can afford to make mistakes. I will try what you do for soccer.

justjoan
09-29-2005, 09:22 AM
Most important, I will not leave it to chance and practice now before the next wedding.