PDA

View Full Version : concert shots in low light, help!

music83lover2001
09-26-2005, 12:40 PM
I went to a Keith Urban concert this Friday and am kicking myself so hard for not memorizing my dang manual for my Kodak DX6490. Fortunately, I was still able to get some nice shots, but not enough for my taste! :D Anyway, I love my camera, but it doesn't work well on the night setting. Everything goes blurry or squiggly. It was like that on my trip to NYC in August. I even would steady myself and I still couldn't get that setting to work. Any tips on settings or camera info that I obviously don't know. I am a total novice, so any help would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

barnesquared
09-26-2005, 01:34 PM
i dont know much about your camera, but i looked it up and it looks like you can adjust your aperture and shutter settings. if i were you and wanted to take night shots, i would set it to Av or Tv (aperture or shutter priority) and mess with that, youd be able to get better shots that way.

if you were on Av, set your aperture to the smallest number and see what results you get (for your camera it should be 2.8).

you could put it on Tv and set it to 1/60 or so, and see if any shots come out. be very still though, if you cant use a tripod. a tripod would be your best bet, however.

hopefully these ideas can improve your night shots. like i said i dont really know your camera but since you can control Tv and Av i'm sure you'll be able to get something useable.

StanleyL
09-28-2005, 01:13 PM
ISO determines the light sensitivity of the camera's sensor. Higher means more, but also lower quality.

The night setting on these cameras should automatically place the camera in the widest apeture, highest ISO possible, but if you manually set the ISO to its highest and the Tv at 1/60 (the slowest shutter speed feasible to overcome minor camera shake) and hold the camera as still as possible, you will be seeing the best it can do.

Beyond that, you'll need to get a camera with better low light performance. The Fuju F10 is still the best performer in this category, unless you drop serious bucks for a Digital SRL.

Note: Higher ISO will also make the background (out of the flashes range) come out less dark.

Most point and shoot cameras have poor low light performance.