PDA

View Full Version : My Casio shuts down within seconds of being turned on

D-MAC
09-25-2005, 03:25 PM
When my older Casio turned itself off abruptly it was because the battery was low. Now my new EX-P700 has started shutting down immediately after it is turned on even with a fully charged battery. (I've tried two different ones.) The auto turn-off was set for 2 minutes; I increased that to 5. Still the lens pulls in on itself and the screen goes black almost immediately. Though sometimes it remains on long enough to take or see an image. What's happening? More important, how can I stop it?

Kenyada
09-27-2005, 09:21 AM
Are you sure that your battery is holding the charge? Try newer batteries. How old is your battery charger? What brand are your batteries? It sounds like a power problem.

D-MAC
10-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Thanks for your interest. I know it SOUNDS like a power problem but it does not act like one. One battery is a Casio, one a no-name replacement. Both are less than 6 weeks old. Both charged to the green-light. This problem came on suddenly and persists. Sometimes the camera turns off immediately, sometimes it allows a couple of shots. Casio, alas, is no help.

Kenyada
10-04-2005, 03:10 PM
If it's not the actual batteries, maybe the charger is not fully charging them. Or, if the camera has a Power Saving mode, maybe there's something wrong with it. (Sorry I keep seeing this as a power problem, but many times chargers take an electrical surge and they're never the same after that. I've even heard of a wack charger draining a battery rather than charging it) If this happened all of a sudden, as opposed to gradually, it sounds electrical. I would try a fresh battery that hasn't been charged in your charger. Just a suggestion :o

D-MAC
10-04-2005, 06:33 PM
I know that even new things can develop quirks but I believe the charger to be OK. I charged the Casio battery again. The light turned from red to green. The camera indicator showed the battery to be fully charged as well. I turned the camera on, it turned itself off immediately. However I find that this quick turning off happens mostly when the camera is in "best shot" mode; in "snapshot" mode and others it will stay on much longer. A shame, because the "best shot" mode is one of the best features of the camera. Another eerie thing, I thought maybe my computer rent-a-nerd might be able to fix it because he has a knack for such things. In his hands the camera worked fine; my reverse Midas touch at work again, I thought. But then after a while ithe camera pulled its tricks with him, too. Sad because it is a terrific camera...I appreciate your concern.

D-MAC
10-04-2005, 06:34 PM
I know that even new things can develop quirks but I believe the charger to be OK. I charged the Casio battery again. The light turned from red to green. The camera indicator showed the battery to be fully charged as well. I turned the camera on, it turned itself off immediately. However I find that this quick turning off happens mostly when the camera is in "best shot" mode; in "snapshot" mode and others it will stay on much longer. A shame, because the "best shot" mode is one of the best features of the camera. Another eerie thing, I thought maybe my computer rent-a-nerd might be able to fix it because he has a knack for such things. In his hands the camera worked fine; my reverse Midas touch at work again, I thought. But then after a while ithe camera pulled its tricks with him, too. Sad because it is a terrific camera...I do appreciate your concern.

sail4evr
08-30-2006, 01:31 PM
The exact same scenario as D-MAC. It has worked fine for a year and now all of a sudden it won't stay on. If connected to a computer it will download pictures to the computer butwhen I disconect computer it shuts down. I've tried multiple sets of batteries. Anyone have a clue.

GushK
10-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Hi

My new Casio EX-Z1000 has developed exactly the same problem.

you turn it on to take pictues (either by power or camera button) and it turns off again within 1-2 seconds (screen comes on then disappears).

USB connection is perfectly fine and so is "Viewing" (Play) mode.
I can browse my pictures perfectly fine, just can't take any.

Anyone made any progress with this?

kingsalami
07-07-2009, 10:57 AM
I have the same problem. I even sent my EX-P700 to Casio to be fixed. Guess what, it still has the same problem! Go to hell and die Casio.

The problem is an over active lense "hit" sensor. The camera is supposed to shutdown retracting the lense if it detects a strike to the lense.

I have no idea how to fix this other than never buy another Casio product!

David Metsky
07-07-2009, 12:53 PM
This is a three year old thread, BTW.

The problem you are seeing is probably grit in the lens mechanism. This occurs with every manufacturer, not just Casio. It's one of the unfortunate features of extending lens designs. While there may be good reasons not to buy a Casio, this really isn't one of them.

kingsalami
07-07-2009, 01:33 PM
the fact that Casio sold me a product that doesn't work and that they didn't fix it when I went through the hassle of sending it in is plenty enough reason to not support Casio.

In addition, that the problem is wide spread with this model and Casio was not proactive in fixing it, also sucks on their part.

Add on that it came with "grit" from the repair shop. So you and Casio can go to hell.

David Metsky
07-07-2009, 03:21 PM
the fact that Casio sold me a product that doesn't work and that they didn't fix it when I went through the hassle of sending it in is plenty enough reason to not support Casio.

In addition, that the problem is wide spread with this model and Casio was not proactive in fixing it, also sucks on their part.

Add on that it came with "grit" from the repair shop. So you and Casio can go to hell.

Every single manufacturer has the exact same problem, and unless you are very lucky, you'll get the same response from each of their support departments. It's not a great situation, but that's the reality of the consumer market today. There are posts on this forum with the exact same complaint about every camera on the market. I agree that it's frustrating, but there it is.

blewen
08-24-2009, 09:58 AM
I had the same problem with my camera. Based on the comments on this site (mention of "hit sensor") I took a hand vacuum cleaner and carefully vacuumed the spaces between the elements of the lens when the camera was on and the lens was in the extended position.

My thought was that perhaps some dust or other particles had lodged in those space.

At least for now the problem seems to be solved.

Please let me know how you make out.