PDA

View Full Version : which one would ya pick ?

aman
09-27-2004, 12:43 AM
sorry to disturb yall , but needed some help .

i wanted to buy a digital camera this bein my 3rd , i have previouly owned a nikon 4300 ( which fell on the ground while in a case n the lens got damaged hence had to get a new cam), sony p72 ( got coz of its AA batt. n had heard that it had fast response n produce pretty good images, im very happy wid it ,but now i need a cam wid more mp) n now thin of buyin either canon a95 or sony w1

a95 : -
like - manual controls (to which i could grow into and the nikon manual controls were pretty tough) , swivel lcd ,compact flash memory which is much cheaper than memorystick , outhere atleast

dislike - come wid alkaline batteries n no charger ( buyin this would cover for the card deficit sony has probably), thats all i can thin of

sony W1

like - 2.5inch lcd , some manual controls n heard alot about its speed ( shot-shot and start up ) , as i was very happy wid the p72 overall speed performance

dislike - not many manual controls

For me size doest matter , it is the pic quality n
speed (shot - shot time and start - up) and it should be somewat durable (as i broke the lens of the nikon i had owned) . ill be basically usin the camera for indoor pics of parties n family get togethers . n sometimes of landscape n beaches .....

so which camera do ya suggest i should purchase dependin on my criteria

i have heard outt here that the A95 havin the same size of the ccd as the A80 n havin more pixel will produce a more noisy pic , is this true ???

so which camera do ya suggest i should go for ??? W1 , A95 , A85 , A80 , P600 or any other which ya thin would fit my criteria

OUT OF THE STUFF I HAVE RITTEN ABOVE SOME I HAVE HEARD AT THE DISCUSSION FORUMS N REVIEWS . I HAVE PERSONALLY NOT USED ANYONE OF THESE DIGICAMS , except for the W1
hey sorry for the inconviences , coz i want to make a perfect/rite choice this time , dependin on my criteria

V_Dub1605
09-27-2004, 12:40 PM
you can't go wrong with the A95. Only bad thing I've read about it is the red-eye.

Homer's Brain
09-27-2004, 07:38 PM
Just from the reviews, here's what I think: preface, I have an A95, so I'm speaking from that side of the aisle

* I don't think the fringing on the A95 is any worse than the sony. There are some differences, but not as glaring as some might think.
Sony's W1 Nightshot (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_w1-review/nightshot.jpg)
Canon's A95 Nightshot (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a95-review/nightshot.jpg)

[B]Keep in mind, the two images above were taken at the auto settings, with the A95 at 4.9Ap and the W1 at 5.2Ap. With the Canon's manual settings, you can use a slightly higher aperture to reduce the fringing, withthe Sony, you can't incrementally change it, it's either f5.2 of f10.

* The lack of full controls on the sony almost negates any interest I may have in it. I'm interested in really being able to get into the settings. But if you are looking for a real simple point and shoot, the Sony might be an excellent option.
* The sony's 2 AA batteries, I wouldn't think, could last as long as Canon's 4 AA's, especially with the huge 2.5" screen
* Sony's big 2.5" screen (res of 123,000px), while big, doesn't have any better of a practical resolution than Canon's A95 (res 118,000px). One may even go so far as to say the res of the canon's being on a smaller (1.8") screen will look better and be able to manually focus easier.
* The Flip-Out screen was a huge incentive for me, the flip out screen makes all the difference.

That's my take. You should go into the Sony forum and ask those owners what they think. You can see some of my A95 pictures from my link below.