PDA

View Full Version : Time lapse movies with Finepix F10?

stevage
09-20-2005, 06:48 AM
Hi all,
I'm probably asking a horribly cliched question here. Basically I wonder if there is a way to produce time lapse movies (ie, take a shot every minute for 8 hours) using a camera that has no such mode built in - the fuji finepix F10. (Incidental question: do any cameras have such a mode? If not, why not?)

Several possibilities come to mind:
a) Some mechanical device to repeatedly press the shutter
b) Some way of driving the camera electronically that I'm not aware of
c) Somehow using the ability of the camera to pass its image to a TV screen, and sampling that at regular intervals.

Option c) sounds perhaps the easiest, but I imagine the quality would be crap? Anyone know of how the video export thing works anyway?

Anyone tried such a thing? All ideas (no matter how half baked) are very welcome!

Thanks,
Steve

Mike Cady
10-09-2005, 08:08 AM
Steve

Here are four digital cameras that have time lapse feature (there may be more):

- Nikon 8400
- Pentax Optio 450 and 550 (maybe)
- Kodak S755
- Nikon Coolpix 3700 (may not be available any more)

Obviously, I'm interested in doing time lapse with digital cameras too. Strangely though, I want to print results, rather than see them as a "video." It's 10/9/05 now. Hope you get this. I just signed up with "Digital Camera resource page" for the first time.

Mike Cady
San Antonio, TX
mikecady@hotmail.com

stevage
10-16-2005, 09:04 AM
Hi Mike,
I wondered if I would ever get a reply :) Well I don't think I'd invest in another camera just for time-lapse, it's more a hobby that would be fun to pursue.

Are there any programmable cameras around? One where you could reprogram the logic of the menus etc, to allow self-timer mode to mean 2 hours, or create novel uses of flash etc in long exposures...?

Steve