PDA

View Full Version : Initial 20D Impressions

Howard Gabbert
09-26-2004, 09:30 PM
I have had the 20D now for almost a week. It replaces a D60 which I have had for almost two years.

Initial impressions are very good. My main lens is the Canon 16-35 f/2.8 Zoom - which on the EOS SLRs amounts to a 25+ x 56 35mm equivalent. Its a lot of glass, but it sure gives me the results.

As is usually the case, the default Canon parameters are for a medium softness - so I set that for max sharpness. Indoors and out - flash and available light - the 20D delivers.

What I like - the increased resolution. The additional focus points. The 3.5 ounce lighter body weight. The 1.2 inch narrower body, The ability to take EF-S lenses. (For travel I plan to use the 17-85 when it surfaces, as a standard lens because of lighter weight.) I also like the ISO selector on a topside button. The higher flash also is good for working with bigger lenses such as the 16035 (less hood.)

What I don't like - moving the on/off switch from upper left to bottom middle. It now combines with the whz wheen dial in 3 positions. Not easy to work blind with one finger.

On balance, I like it. I took over 6000 pics with the D60 in the states and abroad. It was a workhorse, but it cost $1K more than the 20D when new. Prices are definitely friendlier.