PDA

View Full Version : What about buying cameras on eBay?

GMNelson
07-09-2004, 09:52 PM
Good idea, or not?

I'd like to hear about some people's experiences.

Thanks.

Rhys
07-10-2004, 06:23 AM
I'd suggest you read my comments about e-bay, here http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showpost.php?p=505&postcount=4.

Dave Dilks
07-10-2004, 07:55 AM
Buying a camera on eBay is likely no different than any other purchase there. If you're careful, good deals can be found. If you are greedy and/or don't perform due diligence in checking out the seller, you stand a good chance of getting ripped off. For a relatively large-ticket item like a camera, you should be extra diligent in checking feedback, e.g. make sure the seller has a long history of positive feedback as a seller, make sure that those who left the feedback were legitimate eBay users, etc.

Rhys
07-10-2004, 11:20 AM
Whoops. My link wasn't accurate. I thought I was referring to an article here. It was an article elsewhere. I'll enclose the text. The full thread can be found on uk.rec.photo.misc:21714

But the biggest problem with Internet shopping is fraud. I was billed for a
bunch of flowers by a company called KirbyCroft of South Carolina who did
not deliver any flowers - just a bill. I understand there is a genuine
KirbyCroft florist but whether they have the same website as the company
that billed, I don't know. Barclaycard are investigating that one. Similarly
Barclaycard had to pursue a company on my behalf who billed me for a service
before telling me exactly what I'd bought - they'd given a misleading
account of what I'd be buying beforehand. Then they didn't read my
cancellation notice for 6 weeks and told me I was out of the legal 7 day
cancellation notice. Passed it to Barclaycard who secured a refund. And
don't let me get started on the fraudsters on E-Bay. I personally met, when
I was managing a charity shop, two individuals who had been sentenced to 100
hours community service each - fencing stolen goods on E-Bay. I also met
somebody who'd been sentenced for making and selling pirated software, CDs
and videos. They were all working their Community Service off in my shop. My
God, I had to keep a beady eye on them. They were as dishonest as the day
was long! E-Commerce? More like E-Fraud!

Nick
07-10-2004, 05:09 PM
eBay can be a very good deal maker, but it could also be a deal breaker, so to say. I knew a few people that got ripped off big time on ebay; sent blown/burnt hardware that appears fine in pictures/descriptions, and no refunds whatever to be seen, such forth.

I've bought a few 'rare' things from eBay, and while you're often not really always guaranteed warranty, I have stuff I got years ago on eBay and it works brilliant. You have to read up on scams/so called ebay ethnics and experiences before buying or deciding to buy anything. After that, it's usually fine if you've made a good decision.

D70FAN
07-10-2004, 05:36 PM
I've only had one small negative experience on e-bay. Cost me $40 and I chalked it up to experience.

Like has been said before. Check the seller ratings (shuould be above 99% with minor negatives).

Watch out for New York/New Jersey photo dealers and again check ratings. Communicate via e-mail and ask questions.

There is some neat stuff on e-bay, you just have to use common sense. Use a low-limit credit card via pay-pal or direct if possible.

GMNelson
07-11-2004, 07:11 AM
Thanks to all for the advice.

Not only did I end up buying the camera I wanted (Sony DSC F717 - thanks to advice form Nick and others), I bought it online, through eBay, from Ritz Camera Auctions (very reputable)!

I feel like I got a fair price form a good dealer with 2nd business day shipping. Not bad! :)

I'll post here again when I actually get the camera.

Nick
07-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Good to hear! :) Glad we could help you out.

If any questions surface regarding the cam and it's various uses, feel free to post here once it ships. Did you remember to buy memory for it? ;)

GMNelson
07-16-2004, 09:38 PM
Ritz Camera really came through. The fine print on the auction indicated, as it was most likely a "floor model," that it might be missing some minor piece (lens cap, etc.). When I got the camera - in two business days - everything was in the box. I'm very happy with this dealer and recommend them to anyone's who's looking to buy a camera online.

And, no, it just came with the 32MB Memory Stick so I'm looking around for more...

Thanks again.