PDA

View Full Version : Stylus 500 depth of feild ?

NeilM
09-19-2005, 08:58 AM
Hi!
had my S500 for several months now and sometimes depth of field is a pain, wondering if anyone can give some tips please.
I have it set to ISO 64, use to have it on auto, shoot at SHQ. Shot some flowers for a lady and one can see the depth is only about 1/2 inch at times it seams.

ThankS!

emalvick
09-19-2005, 12:08 PM
Hi!
had my S500 for several months now and sometimes depth of field is a pain, wondering if anyone can give some tips please.
I have it set to ISO 64, use to have it on auto, shoot at SHQ. Shot some flowers for a lady and one can see the depth is only about 1/2 inch at times it seams.

ThankS!

I know nothing about the S500, but the depth of field has to do with the settings of your shot, specifically aperture. You haven't said much about how you have shutter and aperture set, but if it is on auto and you are using ISO 64, I am guessing the camera is choosing the lowest aperture setting (smallest f-stop, largest opening size) which gives you a very shallow depth of field. It is doing this because the ISO is low and it is trying to keep the shutter speed high.

Ideas to solve the problem may be to let the ISO be auto or even fix it at 100. Try setting the camera to aperture priority and fix it at a higher f-stop number (smaller aperture size). This should help keep the exposure good while improving the depth of field using a smaller aperture size. With a digital camera it doesn't take much aperture to really improve the depth of field.

Erik

NeilM
09-19-2005, 02:26 PM
Hmmm, yes I forgot about that, I will play with 100/200 iso, thanks!