PDA

View Full Version : Lithium batteries

hddfox
09-18-2005, 09:34 PM
I have a S2 IS and have been told that lithium batteries will overheat and maybe damage the camera. Anyone ever heard of this or anything like it.

Thanks

Dawoofo
09-18-2005, 11:54 PM
I've heard that warning before (specifically from the owner's manual in my old Fujufilm camera I believe). Recently I looked at lithium batteries and saw the package of one that said the company would replace any item damaged by the battery with proper use, or something like that. I'd still rather not test it on equipment such as my camera though.

dcains
09-20-2005, 12:41 PM
Why would one even want to use Lithium AA's, except to have as an emergency backup set? The price is about the same as for a set of 2500mAh NiMH rechargeables, and after buying just 3 sets of Lithiums you'd have spent the same as for a set of NiMH AA's and the best recharger. Just a suggestion:

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/maha-powerex-mh-c204w-nimh-battery-charger-buy.php3

And, Wal-Mart sells the 2500mAh Energizer AA's for less than $10 for a set of 4, if you need a spare set. Mine last for well over 400 photos in my S2, I really find that with that kind of life I don't even need my spare set.

Regards,

Dean
Lutz, FL
G6, G5, S410, S2

D70FAN
09-20-2005, 01:10 PM
Why would one even want to use Lithium AA's, except to have as an emergency backup set? The price is about the same as for a set of 2500mAh NiMH rechargeables, and after buying just 3 sets of Lithiums you'd have spent the same as for a set of NiMH AA's and the best recharger. Just a suggestion:

For people who are not frequent photographers, and use their cameras a few times a year to shoot, maybe 200 frames in that year (and there are a lot of them out there) NiMH rechargables may not be a good soution. Since they are accustomed to batteries lasting for over a year in the old film p-n-s, NiMH may not be the best choice, as self-discharge occurs in about 45 days. Much the same reason that NiMH's type batteries aren't used critical applications like smoke detectors.

[QUOTE]
And, Wal-Mart sells the 2500mAh Energizer AA's for less than $10 for a set of 4, if you need a spare set. Mine last for well over 400 photos in my S2, I really find that with that kind of life I don't even need my spare set. [QUOTE]

Probably not real good idea to go out without rechargable spares and a set of Lithium backups. Should those rechargables decide not to hold a charge, you might be SOL.

I shoot a dSLR which can go over 1000 shots per battery/charge, but I still carry (and occasionally use) a backup, and a Lithium CR2 3-pack adapter (Nikon D70) for emergencies. I haven't used the lithium pack yet, but I know it's good for about 10 years, and worth the peace of mind.

Just my take on this subject.

Dawoofo
09-20-2005, 02:00 PM
I use regular Energizer AAs (not Lithium or NiMH) exclusively so far and get approximately 500 shots before having to replace them. Granted, that's without using the flash, and many of the shots are continuous. I would've gotten NiMHs and a charger already but my wife wants something to get me for my birthday LOL.

David Metsky
09-20-2005, 03:41 PM
In very cold weather, lithiums have an advantage over NiMH. I've got a set of lithiums to carry around in winter, but I've managed with my two sets of NiMH so far. For extended periods or severe cold (-20 and below) I'd use lithiums.

-dave-