PDA

View Full Version : *istDS info needed!!!

shirtz
09-26-2004, 03:32 PM
hey guys. i was just about to hand over my hard-earned on a canon 300d and now i hear about the new pentax!
anyone know where i can get a FULL review on this camera? it seems to be a direct competetor wit the 300d and possibly be quite a bit better.

please help!

D70FAN
09-27-2004, 04:11 PM
hey guys. i was just about to hand over my hard-earned on a canon 300d and now i hear about the new pentax!
anyone know where i can get a FULL review on this camera? it seems to be a direct competetor wit the 300d and possibly be quite a bit better.

please help!

This is all there is so far.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pentaxistds/

wishbone
12-04-2004, 10:33 AM
There is a pretty good preview at steves. I think this camera will do very well, it and the D70 are high on my list, even though the Canon rebates on the 300D are tough to ignore

Barry Choksey
01-24-2005, 03:33 PM
There is nothing like Jeff's FULL REVIEW and count me in 'waiting list'
for Pentax ist DS

Rex914
01-28-2005, 11:36 PM
This looks to be a very promising camera, especially given its aggressive $999 price point with lens. It's also the smallest, lightest DSLR to boot, almost making it into the "compact" category in size (but not weight of course).

D70FAN
01-29-2005, 04:20 PM
This looks to be a very promising camera, especially given its aggressive $999 price point with lens. It's also the smallest, lightest DSLR to boot, almost making it into the "compact" category in size (but not weight of course).

Well, after 2 tries... hopefully... ;)

Rex914
01-29-2005, 11:23 PM
Had a really great experience with it in the store. Turns out to be exactly what it sounds like, a sturdily built $1000 DSLR. However, I just know that Canon has a card up their sleeve and may drop a bomb on us very soon, hopefully this coming week. Anybody considering an entry level D-SLR should wait (if that's not apparent already) and see what Canon introduces.

D70FAN
01-30-2005, 07:27 AM
Had a really great experience with it in the store. Turns out to be exactly what it sounds like, a sturdily built $1000 DSLR. However, I just know that Canon has a card up their sleeve and may drop a bomb on us very soon, hopefully this coming week. Anybody considering an entry level D-SLR should wait (if that's not apparent already) and see what Canon introduces.

That should be very interesting. Where did you get that info?

Rex914
01-30-2005, 04:15 PM
That should be very interesting. Where did you get that info?

You might be surprised next month...

My lips are now officially sealed.

This was in response to somebody asking about when a Rebel replacement was coming. Also, the rebate program ends tomorrow, another clear indication that Canon wants to start clearing it out of the stores to make room for a replacement. Finally, it has been 18 months since it was released. It's begging to be replaced soon. I don't know whether we'll hear something this week or not, but we're pretty much guaranteed to hear it sometime this month, at worst, at the PMA. ;)

I'm actually more interested in what the improvements are. I'm praying that it becomes a stripped fown 20D, but that's dreaming I guess. I would just want it to have a sturdier body and more controls at the very least, so it gets on par with the D70 and *ist DS.

Randy G.
02-12-2005, 08:54 AM
Like a lot of folks I have been comparing *ist DS to the D70 as there seems to be no serios competition to those two in that price range (I do not like the looks of the Rebel). With the current rebate s on the D70 we can just call the prices even ($44/90 difference body/kit) and go from there.

I am leaning towards the Pentax BECAUSE: higher ISO, takes AA cells instead of proprietary, smaller size, lighter weight, larger LCD, real USB 2.0 transfers, NTSC video output, and ability to save one user custom setting,.

The Nikon has faster shutter speed, and has a better continous mode from a superior image buffer handling system.

I have ruled out any other camera in or below that price range mainly for focusing problems and purple fringing). Those include the DiMage A200 , Dimage Z3, SOny F828, Oly Evolt E300, and Canon Pro 1.

Any comments or additional suggestions appreciated.

jamison55
02-12-2005, 10:48 AM
The Pentax would never work for me because the options to change the WB and ISO are buried in the menu. I need these settings closer to the surface to more easily change them on the fly...

Rex914
02-12-2005, 01:01 PM
If you have your heart set on getting an entry level DSLR, you shouldn't even consider a high-end all in one which will have a higher upfront cost.

speaklightly
02-17-2005, 03:06 PM
Well, the Canon Digital Rebel XT was announced oficially today (02/17) does this affect your feelings about Pentax's 1stDS?

For me, I am not affected, as the size and agility of the 1stDS were the deciding features on that digital camera for me. The Canon Digital Rebel XT has been announced as smaller than the previous DigRebel. However, it is really unclear as to how much the size has been reduced.

Does the new Canon Digital Rebel XT displace the Canon EOS 20D? Personally, I do not believe that it does. There are still many more features available on the 20D than the new DigRebel XT.

What do you think??

Speaklightly

D70FAN
02-17-2005, 03:29 PM
Well, the Canon Digital Rebel XT was announced oficially today (02/17) does this affect your feelings about Pentax's 1stDS?

For me, I am not affected, as the size and agility of the 1stDS were the deciding features on that digital camera for me. The Canon Digital Rebel XT has been announced as smaller than the previous DigRebel. However, it is really unclear as to how much the size has been reduced.

Does the new Canon Digital Rebel XT displace the Canon EOS 20D? Personally, I do not believe that it does. There are still many more features available on the 20D than the new DigRebel XT.

What do you think??

Speaklightly

I think Canon has shot themselves in the foot, but the winner here is the consumer. I was going to buy a second D70 body (my original D70 had to go back for repairs) but now I think I will wait to see if this forces a further price reduction.

Incidently, in case you miss it on the other forum, I bought an A510 a few days ago, but it's heading back to the store. It just lacks the image quality of the A75. Maybe I'll jump on the 5400 deal while the gettin is good. I'm heading to Japan for a week on business and won't have the D70 along so maybe the 5400 will fill in.

for as much as I want to, I still don't like using Canon dSLR's. Guess it's just me...

...Hey, somebody has to keep Nikon in business. ;)

Rex914
02-17-2005, 03:30 PM
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/CanonEOS350D/Images/sidebyside.jpg

Here. It's a hair larger than the DS but lighter than it by 60 grams or so (an ounce or two).

Pentax *ist DS (4.9 x 3.6 x 2.6 in) 605 g (1.3 lb)
Canon EOS 350D (5.0 x 3.7 x 2.5 in) 540 g (1.2 lb)
Canon EOS 300D (5.6 x 3.9 x 2.8 in) 649 g (1.4 lb)

The only people defecting from 20D to Rebel are those who were kind of wavering between the two. Everybody else was pretty much set on one model or the other. I had my heart set on a 20D, and I'm still going that way despite the allure of the XT. Even though Canon's done a good job at making the XT "less plasticky" than the original with the matte finish, it's still plastic nonetheless on the inside, and I want something more rugged. I also love the wheel dial on the 20D.

speaklightly
02-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Rex-

I think you have finally made an excellent choice! Clearly, the Canon EOS 20D is the better digital camera. Yes, Canon is not dumb at all. They purposefully have made the DigRebel XT as close, in size, as they could to the Pentax 1stDS. They are not dummies.

Speaklightly

Rex914
02-17-2005, 03:49 PM
Correct. Some say that small size and weight is a disadvantage when you try mounting on huge super telephoto lenses, but those typically aren't the people who will be buying the Rebel. Canon is trying to woo its prosumer customers from the G series and Pro1 series over to the SLR scene, and these users will only feel comfortable with something that feels like a Powershot and is sized as such.

speaklightly
02-19-2005, 06:54 AM
Rex-

You make an excellent point. Yes, Canon is very savvy. I think your point that the Digital Rebel XT is intended to lure over the G series and Pro-1 people is right on the mark.

I have spoken with lots of Digital Rebel users in my Workshops and they are not using the super large zoom lenses that you often see mounted on the EOS 10D/20D digital cameras.

Again this is very clever marketing and also an indication that Canon is big enough to work with a niche market. Those Digital Rebel users will ultimately purchase larger and more sophisticated Canon dSLR digital cameras.

Speaklightly

speaklightly
02-21-2005, 07:40 PM
I must admit that I was ever so surprised today when I had the opportunity to use a Pentax 1stDS in the field.

If you would like to see my results, please take a look at:

www.digicamlady.smugmug.com/gallery/408017

I found the Pentax 1stDS to feel much better in hand than the Canon EOS 20D. and I was very impressed with the output from the Pentax 1stDS. Its wide angle capablities and backlighting capabilities were amazing.

Yes, it is only 6mp versus 8mp but the results were rather amazing.

Speaklightly

jeisner
02-21-2005, 08:07 PM
Agreed, its a great little camera...

If you have questions or comments regarding the ist DS head over to the dpreview Pentax SLR Forums, many more people there than here!

speaklightly
02-21-2005, 08:26 PM
Jeisner-

Why can't we discuss the Pentax 1stDS right here on this forum?? Do you have some objections to discussing the Pentax 1stDS here, that I am not aware of??

perhaps there is something that I am not aware of here on this forum??

Speaklightly

jeisner
02-21-2005, 08:47 PM
I have an istDS myself and I suppose we can but discuss it here, but I find that there is a certain anti-pentax and a lot of mis-information regarding the pentax offereings. And so if your trying to get a specific response on the istDS you would be better off in a forum based on Pentax products, with lots of pentax users!

speaklightly
02-22-2005, 09:38 AM
Jeisner-

You are most probably very correct. However, I, personally, would like to see a Pentax 1stDS discussion here as well.

Speaklightly

speaklightly
02-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Now would you really like to see a DIRECT comparison of Pentax 1stDS images versus those of the Canon EOS 20D?

I can produce them. However, if there is not any interest, why should I spend the time. You will be VERY amazed how close the images really are!

Speaklightly

pmnapier
02-23-2005, 04:42 PM
Jeisner-

You are most probably very correct. However, I, personally, would like to see a Pentax 1stDS discussion here as well.

Speaklightly
I am not a *istDS owner, but I have looked at one a few times at a local shop given some thought to it. Pentax is a venerable name and has been for years. I'd be very interested in seeing a discussion here, although not being an owner, I'm not sure how much I could contribute. In any event, this IS a Pentax forum so why not?

And yes, I'd be interested in seeing some comparison shots.

jeisner
02-23-2005, 08:40 PM
Now would you really like to see a DIRECT comparison of Pentax 1stDS images versus those of the Canon EOS 20D?

A good friend of mine that I go shooting with often has a 20d, so I have seen many comparison shots, and I know how good the Pentax is :)

But others may be interested!!! One problem with comparison shots though is that a major factor in picture quality is obviously the lens quality, which sometimes people overlook in comparisons.

speaklightly
02-24-2005, 05:21 AM
Jeisner-

My thought was that if I used the kit lens on each camera (the 20D and the Pentax 1stDS) and took the photos within a minute of each other to have the same lighting, it would be as direct as you can get.

We had rain all day yesterday, so no shooting. Perhaps today will be better. But then again perhaps it is not worth the effort. I still have to get everything ready for an upcoming workshop.

Speaklightly

jeisner
02-24-2005, 06:10 AM
Yeah.... good to compare the kit lenses also....

I have the Sigma 50mm EX DG Macro and my friend intends to buy the same lens in Canon mount. That will be a good test of just the sensors and in camera processing, although I dare to say the photos will be darn similar.

speaklightly
02-24-2005, 06:36 AM
pmnapier-

Welcome to the Pentax 1stDS forum. Thus far we have looked at the photos in this link:

Those are all Pentax 1st DS photo. If the weather will cooperate (it rained yesterday) we will next get to the direct comparison of the Canon EOS 20D and the Pentax 1stDS.

Speaklightly

speaklightly
02-24-2005, 04:39 PM
We had a very overcastday. No rain, but just gray all day. If we get a sunny day I will be out shooting the 20D and the Pentax 1stDS.

Speaklightly

franckler
02-24-2005, 07:06 PM
Just to mention my interest in seeing this discussion continue. I do not own a pentax (only a FZ20), but I am seriously considering it, if I do not fall for the pixel count of the New Canon XT. Please provide as much info as you can. this is very informative and very appreciated

speaklightly
02-24-2005, 07:44 PM
Franckler-

Yes, we will attempt it, because we think the Pentax 1stDS is a rather great digital camera. However, it is not easy at all when a lot of folks don't hold Pentax in a high regard. And when you can only demonstrate viable results if you are willing to spend a lot of money.

It took purchasing a Pentax 1stDS to produce these results;

Does anyone else want to join me in this effort? I sincerely believe that the Pentax 1st DS worth a lot of consideration.

Speaklightly

manypix
03-01-2005, 10:15 AM
I'd love to hear more. I posted over on "Which camera should I buy?" but I first have to decide what KIND of camera to buy. If money were no object . . . .

Still, I'm very interested in hearing more about the *ist DS.

speaklightly
03-02-2005, 04:12 PM
Manypix-

I found the Pentax 1stDS very very likeable. However because I already own a Canon 20D, it was not a wise decision to keep the Pentax 1stDS and begin accumulating a whole new "family" of lenses.

If I had to have a smaller dSLR body (for the smaller grip) then the smart thing to do would be to purchase the DigReb XT because the lens for the 20D and the DigReb XT would for the most part be interchangeable.

Sarah Joyce

NeilBlanchard
03-21-2005, 10:58 AM
Hello:

Here's a review with some comparison pictures between the *ist Ds and the Nikon D70:

http://www.dcviews.com/reviews/Pentax-istDs/Pentax-istDs-review.htm

Scroll down to the "Image quality" section.

The Pentax seems consistently to have "cooler" color balance (the Nikon often has a sepia tone, and it's reds are over-emphasised) and the Pentax is also much sharper in some images. Check the paving bricks in the building exterior shot with the green columns! Also, the yellow mailbox/doorbell nexto the red door has lots of areas that are sharper in the Pentax image.

Sincerely, Neil

speaklightly
03-21-2005, 05:24 PM
While, deep in my heart I really wanted to see the Pentax1stDS (I am a long time Pentax User) suceed. Let's be honest. We must deal with the Canon and Nikon reality. Nikon and Canon will always threaten Pentax. Yes, I owned a 1stDS, and I returned it. Good Riddance! It just did not cut it!

It was a dSLR that I REALLY did want to see do well at all at ISO 3200, a critical ISO for me, as I am big into low light digital photography. But it did not. Does that make it a bad dSLR? Not necessiarly.

I own both the Canon 20D and the Nikon D-70. Now, please, and be straight forward here, let's be really honest, the Canon 20D and the Nikon D-70 are indeed much better (my opinion) than the Pentax 1stDS.

Now what? In all honesty, I do not see anyone coming forward with any fantastic Pentax 1stDS photos. So, all I can do is to look rather expentantly at Nikon for an answer to the Canon challege. Pentax, please help me now please. I want to believe, but...

Sarah Joyce

jeisner
03-21-2005, 09:01 PM
Plenty of nice pictures here: (just click more)
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/pentax/ist_ds

Please if you say D70 is much better (I won't argue 20d it cost three times more than DS and is aimed at different market) please elaborate as to why?

edit:

iso 1600 sample http://www.pbase.com/image/38492405

D70FAN
03-22-2005, 04:07 PM
Plenty of nice pictures here: (just click more)
http://www.pbase.com/cameras/pentax/ist_ds

Please if you say D70 is much better (I won't argue 20d it cost three times more than DS and is aimed at different market) please elaborate as to why?

edit:

iso 1600 sample http://www.pbase.com/image/38492405

I wish I had a dollar for every sample photo I've looked at and said, wow, that's really good. But the reality is that in most cases you are seeing the top 25% or so of the total images it took to post those samples.

The *ist DS with the right lens, might be a real performer, with a different lens it might be a dog. So it may not be the cameras fault.

My suggestion is to try the *ist DS and the Nikon D70, and even the DReb XT, and see which one YOU like.

jeisner
03-22-2005, 06:06 PM
I wish I had a dollar for every sample photo I've looked at and said, wow, that's really good. But the reality is that in most cases you are seeing the top 25% or so of the total images it took to post those samples.

The *ist DS with the right lens, might be a real performer, with a different lens it might be a dog. So it may not be the cameras fault.

My suggestion is to try the *ist DS and the Nikon D70, and even the DReb XT, and see which one YOU like.

Sorry George you lost me, I was just responding to the previous post that they had never seen any good *ist DS samples, and it was no good in ISO3200 compared to the D70 so I wanted to see some examples to back up the statment rather than a blanket statement....

P.S. I own the DS and am happy with it, thanks..... ;-)

speaklightly
03-22-2005, 07:36 PM
Jeisner-

I think your sample, "The Feelers" is a fantasic example of what the Pentax 1stDS can really do.

Sarah Joyce

guardian
04-20-2005, 03:34 AM
:confused: I bought a Pentax *ist DS...and I friggen love it. I've used a LOT of dSLR's and Canon Rebel XT is crap, If you have actually held the camera in your hand, lmao, and you have average sized hands, you'd notice how hard it is to get ahold of the grip for single handed operation. The D-70 isnt just a better camera...those cameras are bigger and I think most people look at the Pentax line and consider the size and feel to really kill it. The point i'm trying to make is: The Pentax *ist DS performs tremendously well and deserves to compare side by side with the big dogs. I know it does bad jpegs but if you shoot in RAW mode and convert using adobe, the images come out surprisingly similar in detail and fineness found in the XT at 8mp...the same XT that a lot of my customers come in to my shop to hold...and find out they really hate the feel. But hey I aint gonna dog the XT, thats a wonderful camera besides that flaw. I've already shot a ton of great looking photos and oh yea...why do people complain about the 3200 ISO rating being bad...Hmmmm I wonder why...go shoot some 3200 ISO at night and find out what happens when you try to blow that up to an 8x10.

WightWalker
04-20-2005, 04:30 AM
I agree that the *istDS is a fine camera which appears to be shunned by the Canon/Nikon loving brigade but I diasgree that JPEG quality is not up to it.

I've studied sample images form both the *istDS & the rebel XT and there's nothing in it - if anything the *istDS is better IMHO.

JPEGs taken at 3000x2000 on *** quality setting produce more than acceptable results especially when post processed to add a bit of sharpness - notwithstanding that, no ones going to disagree that RAW is better, it justs time a tad longer to process.

We have to remember that the antialiasing filter applied to the front of the image sensor and reduced in camera processing performed by dSRLs will result in softer images staright out of the camera which will require some degree of post processing to present them at their best.

speaklightly
04-20-2005, 06:58 AM
Wightwalker-

I happen to agree with your post. The Pentax 1stDS does a fine job. In my experience, it is better in raw image, but the jpeg format also provides very acceptable digital photos as well.

Sarah Joyce

colmax
04-21-2005, 01:56 AM
http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?page=2854&head=63

I thought the above was a very fair and realistic review of the *istDS. I'm heading to the USA on vacation early May and will certainly be purchasing this dSLR there. I'm grateful for the information and views expressed by you all and for the wonderful images posted.

Pentax DS meets all of my needs. The price point is excellent and I'm hoping that Ritz / Wolf still have their current offer available which also includes an 70-300mm all for USD $899. For the few times that I would ever use that size of lens - its a great package. Cost is not the issue I should add - I just want a good all round dSLR and I believe that I've found it in the DS. I do not want an EVF in any shape or form!!

I will post when images available.