PDA

View Full Version : Operating Temperature

09-26-2004, 04:01 PM
I am considering buying a Canon A95 and although it won't be a deciding factor for if I buy it or not, I was wondering a few things about the operating temperature of this camera.

First of all, keep in mind that where I live, during at least 4 months the temperature risks being below 0C(32F).

The camera's operating temperature from Canon's site is 32 - 104F/0 - 40C.
What happens if the temperature is below that ?
Will the camera still work ?
Besides making heat, how can I compensate for that ?

Rhys
09-26-2004, 05:25 PM
I am considering buying a Canon A95 and although it won't be a deciding factor for if I buy it or not, I was wondering a few things about the operating temperature of this camera.

First of all, keep in mind that where I live, during at least 4 months the temperature risks being below 0C(32F).

The camera's operating temperature from Canon's site is 32 - 104F/0 - 40C.
What happens if the temperature is below that ?
Will the camera still work ?
Besides making heat, how can I compensate for that ?

Below freezing, two things might happen - the electrolyte in the battery might freeze and the liquid crystal in the LCD might freeze. This probably won't have a damaging effect on the camera but will render it temprorarily inoperable.

I did hear of a chap who took a Canon EOS 300 to the Eagle's Nest and found his batteries wouldn't work in the low temperatures. He should have carried a spare in his pocket - where it would be warm.

Aside from LCD problems, the only other problem is that of frozen batteries. I suggest using NiMh until they freeze and replacing them with Lithium batteries for cold temperatures. Perhaps anexternal power supply would be useful too?

Homer's Brain
09-26-2004, 09:28 PM
Everything Rhys said...and also that the A95 is small enough you could keep in a pocket when not using, and only pull it out when you need to take a picture. It shoudl be fine, I used my old A20 in a similar environment and never had a problem.