PDA

View Full Version : Can't "see" images on card

rozeltf
09-25-2004, 06:04 PM
Yesteday I took 27 pictures at a soccer game, I just got home after taking a lot more at another game on the same card (the original 27 were still on it)

So I go to download them and only 27 show up , when I put the card back into the camera and turn it on capture mode, my display tells me I have 150 pictures remaining. Normally this card holds 257 pictures. So it would appear there's 80 pictures on the card that I'm unable to see. (257-27-150=80)
Any ideas how I can recover these?
OLY2100UZ, not sure of the smartmedia brand.

judge9847
09-26-2004, 04:27 AM
Yesteday I took 27 pictures at a soccer game, I just got home after taking a lot more at another game on the same card (the original 27 were still on it)

So I go to download them and only 27 show up , when I put the card back into the camera and turn it on capture mode, my display tells me I have 150 pictures remaining. Normally this card holds 257 pictures. So it would appear there's 80 pictures on the card that I'm unable to see. (257-27-150=80)
Any ideas how I can recover these?
OLY2100UZ, not sure of the smartmedia brand.

I can't speak to the Oly but the Fuji and Panasonic cameras I have both place a limit on the number of images that can be stored in individual folders (or directories if you're an old PC-stager from the DOS days like me :) ) on the memory card.

So, once that limit has been reached, the software on the camera automatically creates a new folder and starts putting any new images in there. It sort of makes sense because the numbering system then can't get repeated - or it will take a mighty long while and a huge number of pictures being taken to do so.

For an example, this is what's happened to me in the last couple of days using my Panasonic. The camera was maintaining its numbering system by using a folder on the card called Pana_108. All the images were being saved in there. Now for whatever reason they have, Panasonic have decided that the MAXIMUM number of images in a folder is 1,000. So directly the image numbered P1080999 was reached, it automatically create a folder on the card called Pana_109. The first image in there was numbered P1090001.

For what it's worth, the Panasonic has a disconcerting habit of creating a new folder when a certain sequence of events is carried out. The trouble is, I haven't figured out what that is yet ... :)

Of course, the viewing software on the PC that I use for both cameras can only "see" one directory at a time so it defaults to the first one, in this case, Pana_108. That means that any images in the Pana_109 folder won't be displayed UNTIL I click on it in the Explorer-type view that's part of the software.

I've been caught out with that several times now and initially it does look like some images have been "lost".

It also helps to connect the camera to the PC and instead of using your normal viewing software, use the Windows Explorer to navigate to it - it's usually called something like F:\Removable Disk (depending on your setup the F:\ bit might be different). Anyway, from there, you'll clearly see if another directory has been setup by the camera.

This may not of course be your problem though I hope that it is. If not, then there are solutions to getting the images back PROVIDED you don't do anymore with the card. If it is a recovery job, taking more pictures will almost certainly render the missing ones unrecoverable.

Good luck with it.

rozeltf
09-26-2004, 10:42 AM
Thankfully I was emailed a small utility program that was able to read my card and copy them off to my hard drive.