PDA

View Full Version : Photohop "photo filters"

nwpoland
09-13-2005, 09:55 AM
Have any of y'all done any comparisons between an image that's been taken with a given filter attached to your lens -vs- one taken w/o a filter on the lens but then "photo filtered" via photoshop cs?

I know, maybe that's confusing if you're not sure what I'm talking about. I'll add a screen shot. My point is just wondering whether it's worth buying filters for my nikonD50/Sigma 18-200 combo or just as good to filter through photoshop.

Thanks!

ReF
09-16-2005, 07:59 PM
this doesn't answer your question directly, but i don't bother with traditional colored filters because the effect may be irreversable or difficult to fix if unwanted. what if you only wanted to change the color of part of your picture. what if you get the color right but wish it was darker? you just have so much more control in PP. can you also imagine carrying around so many filters? not to mention the cost and how it takes extra time to attach/remove filters, especially if you are taking a shot with and without the filter. i find i have to do this enough with my polarizer and IR filter as it is, then there's composition bracketing/switching lenses and shooting an IR/polarized/normal frame for each composition, etc., whew!

nwpoland
09-17-2005, 12:05 AM
So, then is there a general-use filter which you use? Or do you just use your filters when needed. I ask b/c I've read some articles mentioning how it's always good to have a polarizer and warming filter (ie 81a) because (1) they compliment the quality of the pic and (2) they are good for lens protection.

I've just been having this debate with myself and it took an interesting turn when I realized that PS could simulate all of those lens filters.

Thanks for the reply...
nw

**hey, how do you like the IR filter? work well? with which camera body/lens?

ReF
09-17-2005, 05:11 PM
no general purpose filter - i usually shoot with nothing on the lens unless the situation calls for it. i have muliti-coated UV filters from HOYA but it gives a kind of very light yellowish cast, which isn't the best for blue skies or skin tones. i only use it to save myself the task cleaning the front element from sea spray in windy conditions. when the filter is covered with too much sea spray i just take if off and put it away - the front element is clean and i can keep shooting. i've only encountered on occasion where there were small falling rocks/sand and the wind was blowing them right at me - a protective filter is a definate plus there.

the filter i use the most is the polarizer. it's good for cutting haze, reflections, white glare on objects, improving contrast and saturation, etc.
i only use the IR filter when i see a potentially good IR scene. it's a bit of a hassle to use though, because you can't see through the filter, meaning you have to remove the filter everytime you want to recompose. IR wavelengths are also different than visible light, so you have to guess the correct maunal focus setting. it gets easier with practice though, so just shoot several frames for insurance. exposure are also long which adds to the list of problems. i use a hoya R72 and a wratten 89b gel IR filter. the gels are delicate, difficult to handle, and can blow away with the wind (it's happened to me once) but it's the only choice for some lenses.

camera body and lens?

canon 300d (want to replace this)
canon 17-40L f4
canon 70-200L f4
canon 1.4x TC II
canon 50mm f1.8 mk I
tamron 28-75 f2.8
sigma 15mm rectangular fisheye f2.8

i'm sure you've heard that a few lenses are problematic with IR photography, but so far none of these lenses have given me problems shooting in IR. though the 70-200 and the 1.4x TC are new and i haven't shot a serious IR picture with it yet. i also used the canon 28-135 IS for a while with IR shots and no problems.

you might want to consider a warming filter if you plan on entering contests, because some contests slap film rules on you even though they accept digital files and we are in the digital age. that means it's okay to use a filter in front of your lens, but against the rules to apply a simple 81A warming filter to your image in PP. IMO some of the rules are ridiculous

BTW what camera/lens set up are you using?

TheObiJuan
09-17-2005, 05:34 PM
I use a ND, polarizer and warming filter a lot. The ps photo filters are great because they can replicate the warming filter pretty well, but the ND and polarizing filter can't.

I use the cooling filter, warming filter, and green filter in PS to add to my images.
For my hawaii images, I use the warming filter to combat the coolness of the blue sky and ocean.

ReF
09-17-2005, 07:10 PM
I use a ND, polarizer and warming filter a lot. The ps photo filters are great because they can replicate the warming filter pretty well, but the ND and polarizing filter can't.

I use the cooling filter, warming filter, and green filter in PS to add to my images.
For my hawaii images, I use the warming filter to combat the coolness of the blue sky and ocean.

oh yeah, forgot about those ND's. i've been thinking about picking up a 2 stop circular ND and 2 graduated squares, but with extension tubes, tripod, ball head, monopod purchases on the list the ND have been pushed way back. haven't run into a situation yet where ISO 100 and f22+ wouldn't slow the shutter down long enough though, or perhaps i just haven't been around any waterfalls in a long while.

TheObiJuan
09-18-2005, 12:14 AM
I was shooting at f/16 ISO 100 with my 20D and didn't want to push it to f/22 because of the loss of sharpness, so I stuck the ND on and problem was fixed.
I was shooting water coming out of a blowhole against the sun. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place capturing the shot, so I either got soft images or overexposed. ND saved the day. The polarizing filter would have done it too though.

nwpoland
09-18-2005, 01:07 AM
I'm using a Nikon d50 with sigma 18-200dc lens. I've been extremely happy with this setup in the situations I've used it in: night-time outside, inside darkened concert, sunny, yadda yadda yadda. Moving from a small Canon P&S I've been thrilled to say the least.

The IR stuff sounds very interesting to me. I love the IR photos I've seen around on the web and would like to give that a go at some point...but not yet. And with the unavailability of photo accessories here in Poland like there are in the US, I have to wisely figure out what's needed vs. what's "wanted" as it's likely that most things I order will have to be shipped to us via family members.

Filters are the exception as I think that most are somewhat available here...although you have to look. Thanks for the info on the filters you're using. I think that I'm going to pickup a circular polar. and then later some grad'ed NDs (I think that would help with the blown out skies I get sometimes).