PDA

View Full Version : Old Filters

JMK
09-12-2005, 06:29 PM
My dad gave me a box of old cameras and equipment (Minolta SR-1, Yashica D and various other stuff) in the box I found a 55mm adapter ring and some filters. The Ring fits my FZ30 prefectly and I was wondering if any of you could tell me about the filters?

The one filter is a Tiffen Photar Polarizer Series #7 Factor 4 and the other is a Tiffen Photar Series #7 Sky 1-A.

Are these good ones?? My guess is that they were made in the early 60's.

I've heard that Digital Cameras need a Circular Polarizer to focus properly and I don't know if this one is Linear or Circular.

Is the Sky 1-A filter just a UV filter??? It seems a little darker that the 72mm UV filter I had for my FZ15.

genece
09-12-2005, 07:11 PM
My dad gave me a box of old cameras and equipment (Minolta SR-1, Yashica D and various other stuff) in the box I found a 55mm adapter ring and some filters. The Ring fits my FZ30 prefectly and I was wondering if any of you could tell me about the filters?

The one filter is a Tiffen Photar Polarizer Series #7 Factor 4 and the other is a Tiffen Photar Series #7 Sky 1-A.

I am sure the filters are fine if they are not scratched, try them and see.
it won't hurt a thing

I've heard that Digital Cameras need a Circular Polarizer to focus properly and I don't know if this one is Linear or Circular.

It does not matter the FZ cameras can use either circular or linear polarizers
DSLR cameras need circular but not the FZ30.

Is the Sky 1-A filter just a UV filter??? It seems a little darker that the 72mm UV filter I had for my FZ15.

A skylight filter usually has a orange tint to them to cut down on the blue haze, try it and see if you like the effect.

emalvick
09-13-2005, 08:32 AM

I don't know anything about the exact filters, but in general, you should be able to utilize the polarizer whether it is linear or circular. Of course, since you have these available to you, you can try them out and see how they work. A good way to test a polarizer is to aim at the sky (90 degrees to the sun if possible, and clear) and adjust the polarizer. Can you see a difference? If you can, it is working. You may have to press the shutter down halfway to see the effect as well, although I hear that linear polarizers don't need to do this.

The other thing I do sometimes is shoot water or a window with a reflection, but not directly at it. You can then see if the polarizer eliminates the reflection (or partially eliminates it) as you adjust it.

If it works, you are good to go. If it doesn't work, then you may need a different polarizer. I imagine it'll work.

Erik