PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial for setting up Actions in Photoshop?

barnesquared
09-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knows of/could write a short tutorial on how to set up actions or batch processing in Photoshop CS+? I found some, but all were fairly unclear or confusing.

I'm not sure if I want to set up actions or batch processing, but basically what i want to do is streamline my post-processing, meaning doing auto-levels, resize, saving a copy, etc. for a group of pictures.

I'm sure there are other PS users who'd like a tutorial on this as well.

Thanks!

nwpoland
09-13-2005, 09:19 AM
You'll notice the screenshot attached is from the batch screen in photoshop cs2. It is extremely straightforward and can be used with any action you have already setup to resize, auto-level, or whatever YOU want to do to it. Really the sky's the limit...and then again you might find out that each of your images needs to be processed separately to get the best results. But you can see an easy setup in this screenshot that is basically:

- Select the Action that you want performed in the batch
- Select the folder where your original images are
- The checkboxes I've selected give a no fuss approach (buy you might check the subfolders box if you have multiple folders and want EVERYTHING processed)
- Choose the folder where you want the pics dumped after being edited. (Or you can just choose the option to save and close the images...but this edits the originals so I wouldn't recommend it).
- Choose whatever naming scheme you'd like to use...this is very customizable to your desires.

That's pretty much it. Click ok and it'll run whatever action you've selected on the images in the folder you've selected. Etc etc etc.

Does that make sense?

nwpoland
09-13-2005, 09:26 AM
Below you'll see a screenshot of the Action pane from Photoshop CS2. This is also pretty straightforward and I think you'll find the best results just by playing around and getting the action you're trying to create exactly the way you want it. For this purpose I created an action based on the tasks you mentioned in your post (resize, auto levels).

All I did to create this action is:

- Open an image (any image really will work fine)
- Click on the action pane
- Click the "Record Button" (see my screenshot below)
**Here's where you begin creating the steps that the action will reproduce anytime it is run. And you can do anything you'd like here**
- Clicked on the Auto-levels command
- Opened "Image Size" dialog box and changed the Resolution to 155.
- Saved as jpeg, quality 12, progressive scan 3 (this step is not necessary as your batch process will override the save step with the parameters you setup in the batch process dialog box -- per my previous post).
- To finalize, just click on the Stop button (the little square to the left of the record button).

If you're not happy with the results and want to try it again, just dump the action and start over. I wouldn't mess with editing the action unless it's huge. It's just too easy to begin from scratch.

Does this one make sense? Hope so...

barnesquared
09-14-2005, 11:09 PM
haha,
simple enough. thanks nw :)