PDA

View Full Version : NewBie Question abt Color Accuracy

skarani
09-12-2005, 10:48 AM
Hi Guys,

I recently bot a Olympus IR-300. I have clicking a lot of photos with this camera trying to judge how good it is. One thing that has me stumped is the color accuracy. Here are the discrepancies I find in the colors of the camera as compared to those seen with the nakedeye:

1. Blues are lighter.
2. Purples are slightly bluish
3. Red with a little pink tinge in them tend to be orangish in full sunlight

While doing research on the internet on the color accuracy of digicams I found that this is pretty normal since Digicams dont have the ability to capture the entire spectrum of colors that an eye can. When faced with with a color not in the digicams spectrum, it maps it to the nearest color in its spectrum.

Is this how the digicams work? I would love to get some confirmation from experienced users and put my mind at ease. Or you can just tell me its a crappy camera.

Thanks
Shekhar

Geoff Chandler
09-12-2005, 01:14 PM
To a degree some of what you say is true - a digicam cannot match the human eye.
There are too many variables to make an accurate reply however. How are you viewing the pictures - if it is a PC screen - then have you calibrated it correctly? If on the Camera screen these are not always very accurate, better to use them as an indication. Mine have both been adjusted the best I can - but still they both are not totsll correct.
If you can get your PC screen set up as acurately as possible and if it is a good one - then you are in a better position to judge.

skarani
09-13-2005, 08:54 AM
Thanks Geoff.

I am using a PC Screen and calibrating it helped. I am seeing more accurate colors but still need to adjust it better since reds are still orangish.

I was using the software WiziWyg to calibrate the monitor, but it is monitor specific and does not have a Dell monitor (which is what I have) in its list. Do you know any other free softwares which I could use to calibrate the monitor?

Also, is 6500 K the best color temp for PC screen when viewing Digicam photos?

Shekhar

Geoff Chandler
09-14-2005, 03:40 PM
I think 6500 is probably the best, I'm not an expert!
If you cannot find any software quickly - how about giving Dell a call?
With mine - I have to admit to a degree of laziness, I have adjusted via a
calibration test I found a while back on one of these sites - but I cannot remember which. Maybe Jeff K would know???