PDA

View Full Version : Finding my next Digital Camera

Ziker
09-11-2005, 09:16 AM
Hi guys,

This is my first post here and I hope you can help me decide on my next digital camera.

My first and current digital camera is the 2 MP Olympus D510z.
I've had it for about 4 years now and it's time to move on.

I was generally happy with the D510z but wish my next camera to exceed it's performance in more than just the MP department.

My main problem with the D510zs performance was indoor and low lighting performance.

I would also be happy to maximize the LCD and Zoom factors.

On the other hand I have low vision and manual settings are just not for me.
I can't read the onscreen menus and wouldn't be able to use manual focus, adjust white balance or exposure if my life depended on it.
I can frame shots well enough though and that's why I do enjoy photography.
(Viewing the photos at 100% on the computer lets me see many details at home that I missed on the road or during an event).

So full automatic and scene modes are my refuge.

I'm also working on a budget and 250$ is just about as high as I can go for the camera itself.

Ah, and Iím allergic to none standard batteries. AAs are my cup of tea.

I was impressed by the Olympus C-5500.
With a 2.0" LCD 5X optical zoom and AF assist lamp it seems like the camera for me.

The problem is that I'm not always sure if the results on the review sites are achieved with automatic or manual settings. Will I get good indoor/low light results on the automatic settings?

I'm also worried about the cameras portability.
A camera that's not easy to carry around ends up not being there when you need it.

I've also read something about zoom stages? And that the C-5500 hasn't got many of them. How smooth is the zoom on the C-5500? And I going to regret going for 5x zoom, rather than the standard 3x?

I've also looked at the Olympus D-595 that saves me about 50$ and is built for the point and shoot user. It should also fit neatly into a pocket.

I will be giving up the 2.0" LCD though, and I've read that the photos look soft at 100%.
Despite Olympus's notorious reliance on the menus, from what I've seen the Olympus menus are more legible than others and most importantly the scene selection menu has a photo representing the scene, not just an icon. This makes it accessible for me.

I've been looking into 2.5" LCDs but they usually come with specialized batteries and so so image quality.

I'll be happy to learn more about eh C-5500 and D-595 from owners of these cameras and am open to suggestions on other cameras that may fit my wish list.

Thanks,

Zivan Krisher

speaklightly
09-11-2005, 01:18 PM
Zivan-

I have a Olympus C-5500 and I really like it a lot. I have found it to produce fine results on auto. Re displayed at 100% the images look really good.

Here is a sample photo, taken in auto per your request.I hope this helps. Having eye problems myself I can relate to your situation.

Sarah Joyce

Ziker
09-11-2005, 02:24 PM
Thank you,

That is indeed a nice photo.

How do you like the zoom of the C-5500, is it continuous or does it work in steps?
I'm not sure how this is manifested, but some reviews speak of steps in some zoom lenses.

Thanks,

Zivan Krisher

speaklightly
09-11-2005, 05:14 PM
Zivan-

I haven't notiuced that it is any different than any other digital cameras. I was just using the C-5500 and it did not seem to move in steps at all. Rater it moves fluidly throughout the zoom range.

I have attached another photo from the C-5500 for you.

Sarah Weber

Ziker
09-11-2005, 11:46 PM
Thanks again Sarah,

I wasn't sure what the reviews meant by zoom stages and it had me worried.
That's one less thing to worry about wit the C-5500 then.

I'm still wondering about the size of the C-5500.
My D510z is not particularly small, but I could fit it into my shorts pocket or into the pocket of fatigues.
In the reviews it says that the C-5500 is 5cm deep, is that with or without the battery compartment/finger grip?

How do you carry it around?

Thanks once more,

Zivan Krisher

speaklightly
09-12-2005, 11:05 AM
Zivan-

The obvious disparity is rather than carying my C-5500 in my pockets, I carry it in my purse. To give you a better idea, I have attached a photo showing some size comparison.

Sarah Joyce

Ziker
09-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Thanks once more Sarah,

You've clreared up just about all the misgivings I had about getting the C-5500.

I'm now only looking into the option of getting either a cheaper camera like the Olympus D-595 or a camera with a 2.5" LCD.

I think the D-595 is just not good enough and I can afford better.

I'm looking into teh Sony DSC-W5 as a AA battery operated 2.5" LCD camera that is compact. but it takes me over my original budget.

I'll be happe to hear forum members ideas about these options.

Thanks,

Zivan Krisehr

Ziker
09-17-2005, 12:08 AM
Good news,

I have an extra 200$ to spend.

My price range is now 450$-500$ for Camera, Memory Card, and if it's a Li-ion battery, an extra battery.

I'm changing the criteria a bit.
Now a 2.5" LCD is a must.

I've seen that the new Olympus Cameras have 2.5" LCDS:
SP-310
SP-350
SP-500UZ

But I'm hard pressed to find any info on them.
Anyone here know their pros and cons?

Thanks,

Zivan Krisher

speaklightly
09-17-2005, 07:12 AM
Zivan-

You might want to take a look at the Kodak P850/P880. They have big LCD's, large focusing marks, and many scene modes.

Sarah Joyce

Ziker
09-17-2005, 11:07 AM
Hi Sarah,

I've taken a llok at them and they look very nice.
But like the new Olympus cameras there are no reviews out yet.

I was thinking of Kodaks to since they do aim more at the point and shoot market.
However I've found that most of there cameras use none AA batteries and that at least their super zoom models take 7-8 seconds to process a photo and save it.

I hope this is not the case with these new models.
I'll keep an eye out for reviews on the new Olympus and Kodaks.

The Olympus cameras have great brackets to mark the AF area/center of the screen and use AA Batteries.

I have high hopes from their new models.

Thanks,

Zivan Krisher

Jaykup
02-22-2006, 10:57 PM
just got an sp-350 and love it!