PDA

View Full Version : question about M-function and catching rays of light.

suzieA.
09-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Hello everybody!

1.today I wanted to take a picture with my a510. first I used the auto function and looked at the shutterspeed and aperture.
then I switched to manual and "installed" the same settings (flash on, shutter and aperture the same) but now the picture was underexposed. I took exactly the same picture...How is that possible????

2. Does anybody know how to catch a ray of light? I mean sometimes you can see a perfect sunbeam through the trees or on a statue or something. (with little pieces of dust floating around in it...if you know what I mean :rolleyes: )

D Thompson
09-10-2005, 11:40 AM
Hello everybody!

1.today I wanted to take a picture with my a510. first I used the auto function and looked at the shutterspeed and aperture.
then I switched to manual and "installed" the same settings (flash on, shutter and aperture the same) but now the picture was underexposed. I took exactly the same picture...How is that possible????
Not knowing anything about the a510 the only thing I could think of would be the ISO setting. If auto was ISO400 and when you switched to manual it was ISO100 then you're going to be underexposed.

nwpoland
09-11-2005, 12:21 AM
2. Does anybody know how to catch a ray of light? I mean sometimes you can see a perfect sunbeam through the trees or on a statue or something. (with little pieces of dust floating around in it...if you know what I mean :rolleyes: )

I'm going to take a stab at this even though I can't tell you for sure. My guess is that you'd have to setup your exposure for the actual ray of light. That way you'd get the contrast between the shadows around the statue, trees, or whatever, and still capture the ray correctly. My guess (again) is that most of the time when folks try to catch that beautiful moment, they meter for the statue which then blows the ray out of exposure.

Anyone confirm or deny that??