PDA

View Full Version : Filters

roody
09-09-2005, 05:28 PM
I Have a Panasonic Lumix FZ 20 digital camera, can I use any type of polarizing filter on it. I understand there are 2 types , circular and linear , is one best suited to my camera.

Robert Besen
09-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Im not positive about your camera, but in general auto focus cameras need a circular polarizer.

tim11
09-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Robert is right. I have FZ20 and the salesman gave me a circular filter and mentioned something about cameras with auto-focus; etc.
I am now curious if you use only manual focus will you be able to use Linear?

roody
09-10-2005, 07:31 PM
thanks for the info,I've also done a little more research and further info can be found :- http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/photos/filters_uv_pol/#polq2

Deenamite
09-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the link, It will help me out :)

emalvick
09-12-2005, 09:42 AM
Having not read the link posted earlier, I do know that you CAN use a linear polarizer with the FZ20 (and other FZ cameras). In fact, it has been stated that the linear polarizers work better. I can't state that from first hand knowledge as I have a circular myself.

However, on my old camera, I did get much better control with a linear polarizer than I now get with the circular polarizer. I believe that a linear polarizer will give you finer control and more range over the effects of a polarizer.

Erik