PDA

View Full Version : A85 a bad choice?

V_Dub1605
09-24-2004, 05:06 PM
ok I recently recieved an A85(my first digital camera) as a b-day gift from my dad but after reading through some of the posts on this site it seems that it may not be the best choice of a camera. I read a lot of reviews of the A75 also and thought that I made a good choice by choosing the A85 since its basically the same camera except for the CCD size. I really loved the the pictures on zoodany's website and hoped I would eventually be able to get some similar pictures someday after I familarize my selff with the camera :) . I plan on using this as a replacement for my old 35mm camera to take on family vacations. I usually make one or two 8x10 prints of my favorite pictures to hang around the house and being able to get good 8x10 prints was a factor. What do you guys think? Should I return it for the A75? and could someone explain why the A85 is so much worse? cause I don't know all that much about digital cameras since I'm just getting into photography but I thought 4 MPs would be better than 3.2 :( ..............and sorry for making this such a long post.

Alnath
09-25-2004, 05:54 AM
All the reviews i have read seem to think the A85 impoves over the A75.

V_Dub1605
09-25-2004, 07:08 AM
yeah I've read some good ones also but I remember one particular comment about there being a lot more noise because of the bigger ccd and that the movie mode was worse as well. I'm not even sure what is meant by more noise(still learning the terms :o ), but I guess my question is "would this seriously affect the picture quality?" Personally I love the A85 and think the pics are great but then again this is my first Digital Camera.

Alnath
09-25-2004, 07:54 AM
The CCD is the same size, the problem is they have got more pixels out of it. 90% of the time you will have it set to ISO 50 (which is about ISO 100 on just about every camera but the powershot range) and the results from that are very good by the look of things.

V_Dub1605
09-25-2004, 09:04 AM
thanks a lot. So I guess I'm keeping it. I really do like this camera and hope to eventually become good at using all the manual features. :)

D70FAN
09-25-2004, 10:35 PM
thanks a lot. So I guess I'm keeping it. I really do like this camera and hope to eventually become good at using all the manual features. :)

Yup. The A85 is a great starter to intermediate camera. the A series in general are great little cameras. you should have a lot of fun with it.

Homer's Brain
09-26-2004, 09:20 PM
I'm taking some great shots with my A95...in some ways, as far as general use, as good as the ones with my 1D MarkII. And suprisingly, I'm finding the manual controls a very refreshing suprise with just how advanced the controls are. I would like to have some smaller aps and such, but it's a $350 PaS...it does superb work. The A95 and 85 are practically twins, so *I* think it's a good choice.

V_Dub1605
09-26-2004, 10:45 PM
thanks George and H's Brain. Now all I need are some rechargeable batteries and a bigger CF card which by the way I cannot believe the deal on this 1GB card :eek: http://dcresource.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=1145302

I'll definately be picking this one up in a few weeks. It'll probably be the only one I'll ever need :) . I'm glad I made the jump to digital with this camera. I can't get over this feeling of knowing I'll have so much freedom in taking pictures next time I go to europe with my family :D .

Homer's Brain
09-27-2004, 01:00 AM
Kingston had 512MB cards (with rebates) at $38 after shipping...may still be able to get it...yup...

link to ebuyer page with the kingston 512MB card (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=108382127&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=48541) People have mentioned that it's not high speed and doesn't work well, but I get plenty of speed from it and it runs great in my A95. For the price of that one 1GB card, you could almost get (3)512's. But if you only want one card, then it's a different ball game.

You can also see some shots from my A95 at the link below in my sig.

V_Dub1605
09-27-2004, 05:21 AM
I kinda would prefer just one card. I already have a 256mb card so do you think if I wait a bid the price will go down on the 1GB cards?

Omikron77
09-27-2004, 07:45 AM
I currently have the A85 and I love it by the way. I've gotten super pictures out of it so far and have no complaints. I did pic up two sets of 2200 batteries and a nice chargers though. Also and AC adapter is nice if your PC doesn't have a card reader.

Anyway....my 512MB card holds somewhere around 200 pics at the higest detail level...and a lot of times I don't even shoot at that level.

With a 512 and 256 card that should be more than enough pics for almost any situation don't you think?

V_Dub1605
09-27-2004, 02:05 PM
With a 512 and 256 card that should be more than enough pics for almost any situation don't you think?

definately. I doubt I will even be taking that many pics at the highest detail level(Superfine) . Most will probably be Large&Fine which looks great to me. I bought some batteries and charger(Energizer) through ebay but I think I should have done some more research first because they are only 1850mAh and it take 14hours for them to charge with this charger. Do you think that I could just buy a faster charger and use the same batteries?

Omikron77
09-28-2004, 08:01 AM
Check ebay for the Maha Powerex Battery and Charger combo. I got a pretty good deal on their newest charger and 2 sets of batteries plus some nice battery caryying cases. I'm getting great life out of there batteries so far and according to MaHa they don't even reach peak life until you cycle them 4-5 times, which I haven't done yet. I've taken almost 300 pics I'm guessing no the current charge with about 100% LCD usage and they are still going strong.

My charger is the CFS401 and it does a slow 4-5 hour charge and also a rapid 100 minute charge should you really need them fast.