PDA

View Full Version : astro images with *istDS

bamboomarc
09-09-2005, 09:33 AM
The Canons appear to be about the most popular DSLR at this point for astroimaging. When I first entertained the idea of getting a dslr all said the cananon was more sensitive. Here are a few images I have gotten of recent with the Pentax. Keep in mind I am new to astroimaging so they are not "Hubble" quality.
Here is a 220 second image of the Dumbell nebula:
http://www.marc-hilt.com/images/m27_final.png
Here is the southern milkey way
http://www.marc-hilt.com/images/south1crop.jpg

astro
09-10-2005, 05:10 AM
Wow great shots!!!
I've been very interested in astrophotography for a while now(hence the name astro).

I haven't been able to fork up the money for all the gear though. I used to have an 8inch dobsonian as a kid.. but I no longer have it anymore.

I'm shopping for an equatorial mount now. I think my 300mm F/4 prime lens should suit me fine for some good deep space imaging.

I tried getting a 1second exposure at ISO1600 of the orion nebula in my extremely lightpolluted sky. It was able to capture a nice purple blur over the trapezium. The mirror lockup is fundamental too for astrophotography. Pentax sure didn't leave that out!

Canon 20D actually has a special astrophotography version that has an infrared cutoff and is supposedly twice as sensitive for H-Alpha transmissions. I think that's why they're generally preferred. Not to mentioned CMOS sensors carry less noise than CCDs.

So what mount and lens/telescope are you using?

bamboomarc
09-15-2005, 07:58 AM
Sorry for the delay I have been gone. My mount is a EQ6 with a 10 inch newt OTA from Hardin but the focuser and all the rest are from different manufactures. Spend the most you can on the mount is the best advice I can give. I'll post more images when I get back, leaving again today. Cheers-Marc

astro
09-15-2005, 02:52 PM
wow that looks like a really sturdy mount.. even has the PEC..
How much did it cost? $1000+?

I'm thinking about getting a 3" mak cass. There's a lot of light pollution in my area, so getting such a big scope won't do me any good.
Plus with such a small and light telescope, I can get a cheaper mount too.

egarrard
09-20-2005, 08:03 PM
wow that looks like a really sturdy mount.. even has the PEC..
How much did it cost? $1000+?

I'm thinking about getting a 3" mak cass. There's a lot of light pollution in my area, so getting such a big scope won't do me any good.
Plus with such a small and light telescope, I can get a cheaper mount too.

The better the mount, the better the pictures. Remember how much magnification is being used. You wouldn't buy a tripod, then loosen all the controls on it would you? That's what you would be doing by going with a cheaper mount.

Astrophotography does have a fairly steep entry fee (to do it right). Unless you're a machinist and can build your own gear, you'll wind up paying more in the end. What works costs.