PDA

View Full Version : Canon 20D

mikejulius102
09-24-2004, 11:32 AM
This question is aimed at the 20D but I am sure its the same for all cameras. Is there a rule of thumb when you want to shoot in TV mode or in AV mode?
Seems to me in TV you are getting a much sharper image and better control over exposure. Is that my imagination? :)

Billiam
09-24-2004, 06:12 PM
Simplest answer I can think of is use Tv if you're concerned about motion, Av if you're concerned about depth of field.

In the Tv case, the motion can be that of a fast moving subject, or that of a long lens that you may not be able to hold still at slower speeds. You'll want to learn what's the minimum shutter speed you need if you want to assure a sharp shot. You might also want to force a slower speed to allow moving water to blur, or to get a blurred background when panning a fast moving subject.

In Av, you might want to favor a wide apature to throw the background out of focus when shooting a portrait, or a small apature for maximum depth of field in a landscape shot.

Either one should allow full control of the overall exposure (within the limits of your lens and ISO setting).