PDA

View Full Version : best shops to buy in canada

rduane
09-24-2004, 08:55 AM
hi,

I am going to buy eithir the Canon S410 or the Sony W1. I live in Ireland but will be traveling to Canada in a fortnight. I want to buy the camera when i am there to take advantage of exhange rate. Any good places to buy eithir online or local (Vancouver). Also, what u.s. sites will ship to canada? Amazon.com are selling the S410 for 310 dollars (u.s.) but wont ship to canada.

Thanks,

russ

Mort
10-03-2004, 08:50 PM
Russ,

One place you can try in Ontario Canada is Henry's. They have a web site here:http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/henrys/index.jsp

Mort

meng-chieh
10-05-2004, 12:48 AM
hi,

I am going to buy eithir the Canon S410 or the Sony W1. I live in Ireland but will be traveling to Canada in a fortnight. I want to buy the camera when i am there to take advantage of exhange rate. Any good places to buy eithir online or local (Vancouver). Also, what u.s. sites will ship to canada? Amazon.com are selling the S410 for 310 dollars (u.s.) but wont ship to canada.

Thanks,

russ

It's my belief that buying a digital camera ONLINE and having it SHIPPED to you if usually a bad idea. For one, if you decide that you don't like the camera and want it exchanged or even returned, you'd have to go through the hassel of sending it back, whereas if you buy it local, then all you have to do is bring it back to the store from which your purchased the item. Second, warranty is similarly a problem - there's no way that YOU can hassel them into honoring their warranty if they decide not to or to give you more trouble then it's worth (of course, this doesn't apply to reputable stores). So unless you find the online store to have lower (although reasonable) prices and it's a VERY reputable store, then I'd suggest avoiding online stores.

As for your question of a store here in Vancouver, I'd suggest Broadway Camera. There're currently two locations, one on...duh...Broadway, and the other in Richmond's Aberdeen centre. Now I've only dealt with them once a long time ago, so I have no idea what their services/warrnaties are like, so you'd better check them out yourself. However, they're, apparently, one of the larger dedicated camera dealers in the lower mainland, so your choices are pretty limited. I, for one, am also looking to purchase a digital camera, so good luck with you too!

Randy McNaughton
10-08-2004, 07:12 AM
Henry's is a good choice if you buy in Ontario because they have a one year half back trade-in programme meaning you have up to one year from the purchase date to bring the camera back to trade for a newer camera and receive a credit equal to half the price you paid for the first camera.

gcmoryc
10-14-2004, 05:25 PM
I'd recommend Future Shop. If you have done your research (and it seems that you do have it narrowed down to 2 cameras), I'd go to Future Shop. 30 day price guarantee, excellent service plans. I just bought a Fuji E550 at Sears -- they carry both the Canon S410 and the Sony W1 you are looking at. They also offer price matching -- I went with Sears since I had $600 in gift certificates for the store, otherwise, I would have bought at Future Shop. My $0.02 worth :-)