PDA

View Full Version : S2- for bird photos? - YES !!

Doc
09-03-2005, 01:46 PM
I've been "playing " around with my S2 - and i must say - you can get good enough pictures of birds .
Just for comparison : the close up picture is a 48x !!! zoom !
The other pictures are at 12x zoom with the IS on .
There's a long learning curve with this camera but it's worth it.

vedanthi
09-03-2005, 06:34 PM
nice pix...be proud of your achievements...!

Phill D
09-04-2005, 01:34 AM
Yep very nice pictures Doc - I like number 2 best. It makes you wonder what they all might be wispering to each other before they takeoff. :D

lgvelez
09-04-2005, 09:22 AM
I've got to assume that the 48x was the digital zoom. Having played with it on other cameras, where it really stunk, this is very impressive.

I love your birds sitting in a row ... looks like a real hen party!

Laura in TX

Dawoofo
09-04-2005, 11:44 AM
Those are great, Doc!

I've only had my new S2 for three days now and I love it. I've got a lot to learn as I don't consistently get great shots with it yet unless I have lots of sunlight.

val123
09-04-2005, 02:34 PM
Great Bird shots, Doc well done.

I've had my S2 for about 3 months now, taken about 5000 shots overall and still love it.

The learning curve is quite steep, but it is worth it.

:)

sHanzek
09-12-2005, 01:19 PM
What the heck - here are a few of my bird shots taken with my S2 IS. These were at the 12x setting, then cropped down to 1024x768 for two of them...

Here's a chickadee at my feeder (http://www.hanzek.com/images/chickadeedd.jpg)

Here's the same bird still pigging out (http://www.hanzek.com/images/chickadeedd2.jpg)

And here's a finch (i think) or as my kids say, pretty bird! (http://www.hanzek.com/images/finch1.jpg)

These are all taken hand held, 12x zoom, at the highest setting. I just sneak out the back door and snap some shots. Love the image stabilization!

Maybe this weekend I'll set up a tripod and a long usb cord and sit inside and try to snap some shots using the remote camera feature...

Steve
S2IS and loving it...

zerocool101
09-12-2005, 08:55 PM
How do I used this remote feature. What software???

sHanzek
09-13-2005, 07:31 AM
The RemoteCapture software is included in the CameraWindow software that ships with the S2IS. It allows you to connect your S2IS to your computer with a usb cable. Then you can control the camera - change exposure settings, resolution settings, zoom in and out, pretty much everything but moving the camera physically. You can then click on a button to snap a photo, based on the viewfinder displayed on your computer. An additional feature is an intervalometer function - set the camera to take a predetermined number of photos at a set interval, from 5 seconds up to hours...
So if I work it right, I can string a few 10 foot usb cables joined with a hub to put me about 20 feet from the camera, on my laptop. The camera would be focused on a bird feeder, but closer than I can get by just standing there... I'm not sure how the usb / hub / usb cable will work - may not be enough power...
Steve

gary_hendricks
09-13-2005, 08:06 AM
Very nice pictures, Doc.

Carp
09-14-2005, 07:45 PM
I love your pix and am so jealous. I have been taking a ton of bird pix and it seems that no matter what I do - they are noisy. I do tend to crop them quite a bit - but did that with my old Kodak 6490 and never had this problem. What am I doing wrong? If I take a picture of a bird on a feeder - the feeder is sharp and clear and the bird looks like crap.
Thanks for any pointers.
Carp

zerocool101
09-14-2005, 09:27 PM
That cd I got with my camera must be bad when I load it up I always get errors when installing. Is there a place on Canon's website were I could just download the stuff?

XOO
09-15-2005, 09:28 AM
If I take a picture of a bird on a feeder - the feeder is sharp and clear and the bird looks like crap.
Thanks for any pointers.
Carp
Without a picture of the example you cite, I'll go this route-assuming you have the S2. Using P Mode or something other than Auto.

Sounds like the camera is focussing on something other than what you are aiming...not unusual with the S2. Since I also take pictures of birds at feeders, this is the way I'd get started to try and see what the difficulty may be...probably a tripod for starters so the position of camera remains stationary. Using the Function button set Focus Bracketing to On. Then do an Auto focus on bird or spot where the birds would feed and lock in the focus with the Manual focus button. The Focus Bracketing will automatically come on when you hit the Manual button. You'll get 3 shots at each press of Shutter button. See if any come out with decent focus. If so, you have determined that it is an aiming-focus problem and you'll have to experiment to find how you should be aiming and focussing.

If using a lot of zoom, getting the birds at a 90 degree angle will reduce the DOF problem - where the head is in-focus and the tail feathers are out of focus.
Trial & error with learning along the way should improve your shots.

The S2 will take outstanding photos, but (with me) it was not a simple Point & Shoot routine.

Carp
09-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Bill,
Thanks for the info. I had tried the bracketing and could only tell that the exposure was different - not the focus - so will try again. I also use the manual focus (not with the bracketing) and it helps but...I still end up with grainy pix. If you want you can email me at carp54 at gmail dot com and if you supply me with your address I can send you some samples - mostly hawks and hummingbirds - and maybe you can give me some pointers.
BTW - I never use auto for shooting birds. You can see some of my stuff on Usenet at alt.binaries.backyard.critters.
Thanks so much.
Carp

ale_g
11-23-2005, 05:33 AM
Hi All
I was trying to shoot some birds with my S2IS and I found extremely difficult to even pointing at them while zooming at 12X (Bidrs were flying really fast). Is there any technique for that?.

B. Regards
Ale_G

CompUGen
12-28-2006, 02:32 PM
The Canon S2 IS, is ok for bird photos but not great! If you are serious about bird photography you might as well invest your money into those fancy SLRs because the best you'll be able to do with this camera won't be anything compared to the big dogs! Anyway here's a pic I've taken with my Canon S2 IS!

CompUGen
12-28-2006, 02:43 PM
I love your pix and am so jealous. I have been taking a ton of bird pix and it seems that no matter what I do - they are noisy. I do tend to crop them quite a bit - but did that with my old Kodak 6490 and never had this problem. What am I doing wrong? If I take a picture of a bird on a feeder - the feeder is sharp and clear and the bird looks like crap.
Thanks for any pointers.
Carp

There's a program called noiseware that can fix your noisy/grainy bird pics!

http://www.imagenomic.com/products.aspx

It's amazing!

Also try using a tripod it will help, and make sure your subject is in focus when you're taking the shot. If you depress the shutter button half-way it will show you a green/orange box. If it's Green your subject is in focus and it's ok to take the shot, if it's orange then you should try to refocus! Use (Av or Tv) priority instead of auto with birds. They move alot so it helps when you use a higher shutter speed and make sure you have plenty of light if you're using Tv mode!

AMDnut
12-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Got to throw my bird shots in as well...

AMDnut
12-28-2006, 10:28 PM
A few more...

AMDnut
12-28-2006, 10:32 PM
The S2 is a very capable camera, but it does take a lot of time learning! I have learned most everything right here from the members though...

AMDnut
12-28-2006, 10:33 PM
Thanks to all that have helped me again! ;-)

cristiantrifan
12-29-2006, 01:02 AM
Hehe, very cute ducks you got there AMDnut, good job.
Cheers.

drama
12-29-2006, 04:27 AM
AMD nut
Those are some really cool shots you got
What is the story behind the eagle shot, how come he allowed you to get so close

This is a bird shot of mine, I use an S3
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/137/317975743_e6bbc4759f_o.jpg

AMDnut
12-29-2006, 06:44 AM
cristiantrifan - Thank you!

drama - Thanks, I think that is some variation of a Hawk, but I have not found a likeness on the internet. I spotted him setting along the road in the deep grass, figured he was wounded (possibly struck by a passing car) and stopped to check him out. Had my S2 with me so I took many shots of him as he sat there for the camera. He did not look to be hurt physically, but he did not move from his spot. I called a place called "Raptor Rehab" that helps birds of prey and told them the location. Came by later and he was gone...

What bird is that you posted? Dove / Pigeon, love the colors in the neck area... good shot.

drama
12-29-2006, 07:12 AM
Thanks AMDnut for the detailed story :)
Hope the ? raptor got picked up

I think those are pigeon

I have also been having a go at some high flying, rapid cormorants
I would appreciate some tips, if you can spare the time
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dramanow/sets/72157594417201630/

Thanks

lathe
12-29-2006, 01:11 PM
So if I work it right, I can string a few 10 foot usb cables joined with a hub to put me about 20 feet from the camera, on my laptop. The camera would be focused on a bird feeder, but closer than I can get by just standing there... I'm not sure how the usb / hub / usb cable will work - may not be enough power...
Steve

There are special USB cables (5m / 16 ft long) out there that act as a 1 port hub that you can chain together. You can chain 5 of these together. I haven't tried them out myself but they should work. Check out http://www.usbmax.com/USBG-2U16_USB_2.0_High-Speed_Active_Extension_Cable_16ft..cfm

kilasting
12-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Wow great shots amdnut.. can you provide some detail or exif data for what settings u used? that is pretty good... no telephoto lens right?

:)

CompUGen
12-29-2006, 01:54 PM
Thanks AMDnut for the detailed story :)
Hope the ? raptor got picked up

I think those are pigeon

Thanks

No those are called Rock Doves!:)

drama
12-29-2006, 07:40 PM
Thanks Compugen :)
My ornithological education continues :D
I was until very recently calling the cormorants, geese

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/153/336436111_fda41e5865.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/130/332941683_5a64e8d614.jpg

This is a mile stone for me, managed to see their color right for the first time :)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/136/336436102_b250e1426e_o.jpg

CompUGen
12-29-2006, 09:28 PM
cool pics though i like them! I like the first one better though!:D

AMDnut
12-29-2006, 11:16 PM
kilasting - Edited some images to add EXIF, will do the Hawk as soon as I can capture the screens. No TP lens, only the S2 Zoom! :)

drama - Thanks, your cormorants shots are nice! I like the sun catching the underside of the wings in some shots. As for tips, have you set up your S3 according to the tips sticky: DCRP Canon S2 IS Tip List at the top of this forum? It will work well on your S3 also I believe. I set mine up according to most tips in there, and then started testing. You might want to find something that moves just as fast (cars?) and play with shutter speed settings. This will really help you when "panning" to catch the moving shots. I would try running the cam in Tv mode to set the shutter speed and let the cam do the Arpeture setting. Run an ISO 200 maybe... if it is not to noisy. Also, try setting the light comp +1/3 to see if it helps any. Your trying a very difficult shot IMHO and it takes patience and a lot of shots to get the settings down. Once you find the best settings, you could write a custom mode for them.

I run all my images through Noiseware also for PP. Hardly ever touch the color, but may tweak the saturation, brightness, or contrast if needed.

drama
12-29-2006, 11:59 PM
Thanks AMDnut
I will take a read of the tip list
Havent tried shutter priority yet, I mostly use manual
Am pretty new to photography, a couple of months in

Will give it a try

Compugen
The cormorants are tough & so lots of fun :D

danidabi
12-30-2006, 07:46 PM
First pic I took of a bird with my new S3. Lighting was poor due to bad weather and being under some trees. but it is so much better then my old digicam.

You guys have been a huge help already. Can't wait to get some awesome pics:)

drama
12-30-2006, 09:33 PM
Congrats on acquiring a cool camera :)

Thats a very nice duck pic, would like to see it larger

danidabi
12-30-2006, 11:06 PM
I reduced it more then I thought I did and didn't realize it until I loaded it up.

How come I can't load a pic that is over the limit but many of the pics displayed by others exceed the file size alloted?

drama
12-31-2006, 12:20 AM
If you are possting as an attatchment, max size for jpg's is 174 KB

You can use a picture hosting service, like flickr to host bigger files, 800x600 is maximum socially acceptable size

This is my favorite bird shot to date
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/134/328307793_ee2abe6322_o.jpg

danidabi
12-31-2006, 10:43 AM
Awesome thanks for the tip. I use photbucket. Will try that