PDA

View Full Version : Remote Capture

Jason Walker
09-24-2004, 04:17 AM
Can anyone tell me, does Panasonic provide software similar to Canon's Remote Capture?

Remote capture software allows a computer to remotely fire a digital camera connected to it. Two key benefits are that images can be stored directly onto the computer's hard disk and that images can be immediately previewed on the computer monitor instead of on the small LCD of the camera.

Thanks in advance

JWalker

Jason Walker
09-24-2004, 02:28 PM
Can anyone tell me, does Panasonic provide software similar to Canon's Remote Capture?

Remote capture software allows a computer to remotely fire a digital camera connected to it. Two key benefits are that images can be stored directly onto the computer's hard disk and that images can be immediately previewed on the computer monitor instead of on the small LCD of the camera.

Thanks in advance

JWalker

This is not a trick question - can someone answer this, please!

10kzoom
09-27-2004, 10:14 AM
I'm only familiar with the FZ1 / 2 / 3 / 10 / 15 / 20. In reference to those cameras I believe the answere is no. Of the 6 models mentioned, the FZ20 just released is the only one to have "wired remote" for the shutter.

Jason Walker
09-27-2004, 01:51 PM
I'm only familiar with the FZ1 / 2 / 3 / 10 / 15 / 20. In reference to those cameras I believe the answere is no. Of the 6 models mentioned, the FZ20 just released is the only one to have "wired remote" for the shutter.

Thanks for the reply.

The wired remote would be ideal when taking pictures using a tripod, if needed. But, what I am asking about is software. Do you know what software is bundled with the FZ20?

For an example of "Remote Capture" software please click here:

http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro/

As you see, it allows the composing and viewing of shots on the Laptop or PC via USB or Firewire connector.

Thx JW

10kzoom
09-29-2004, 10:48 AM
I think the answer, with 99.99% certainty, is no. Software control of the Panasonic FZ series cams does not exists. Have been a daily visitor to PTF (another rival forum) since I got my FZ10 last November and not once has this software been mentioned to exist.
This would be such a great feature it certainly would have generated a great deal of conversation. And there would be no reason (for Panasonic and all FZ cam owners) to keep it a secret and not talk about it.
Sorry!! :( :(

John Tropi
11-16-2004, 05:09 PM
The FZ20 is very high on my short list of cameras.
As a good deal of my pics will be at very low level and often on the floor (models/toys!), the lack of a tilt & swivel LCD has been holding me back - this is pretty well essential for my purpose.

However, on the Imaging Resource review of the FZ15, it was clearly stated that an external monitor COULD be used for framing and focus etc - the answer to my problem!

However, an Email to Panasonic (UK), after two weeks, came up with a reply that it is not possible. But I am not confident that their customer service is completely on the ball.

Certainly many cameras can do this without ANY special software (Kodak, Fuji and Sony that I know of) and if Panasonic Lumixes can't do it, I wonder why not?

Can anyone confirm one way or the other?
Sadly, if it really can't, I am going to have to cross Lumix off my list altogether, but I really NEED to know for absolutely certain before doing that.

John_Reed
11-16-2004, 06:00 PM
The FZ20 is very high on my short list of cameras.
As a good deal of my pics will be at very low level and often on the floor (models/toys!), the lack of a tilt & swivel LCD has been holding me back - this is pretty well essential for my purpose.

However, on the Imaging Resource review of the FZ15, it was clearly stated that an external monitor COULD be used for framing and focus etc - the answer to my problem!

However, an Email to Panasonic (UK), after two weeks, came up with a reply that it is not possible. But I am not confident that their customer service is completely on the ball.

Certainly many cameras can do this without ANY special software (Kodak, Fuji and Sony that I know of) and if Panasonic Lumixes can't do it, I wonder why not?

Can anyone confirm one way or the other?
Sadly, if it really can't, I am going to have to cross Lumix off my list altogether, but I really NEED to know for absolutely certain before doing that.I think that Panasonic is probably right about viewing images on an external monitor; I don't think it's possible. However, if it's simply the ability to take "on-the-floor" shots without getting down there yourself, here's a suggestion: A former Life Magazine photographer who bought himself an FZ10 about 6 months ago (has since bought an FZ20), was frustrated by this same problem, so he devised a simple solution (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=9239832) using a 2" mirror. Cheap but effective. Check it out!

John Tropi
11-17-2004, 04:35 AM
John, thank you so much for that - I LOVE lateral thinking and ingenuity! :)
That's probably enough to keep the FZ20 on my list, though I would much prefer a T & S LCD or a small external monitor.

A local shop is going to bring an FZ20 into stock, with no obligation for me to buy it, so I should get the chance to experiment a little with it. They have no reservations about plugging into a handy monitor, which is how I know for certain that some Sony cameras can do what I want.

John Tropi
11-17-2004, 04:13 PM
it looks as though Panasonic's UK customer support is wrong, according to Low down in This Thread (http://www.photo-forums.com/WebX?50@44.6eJZbROYpAz.4@.ee9b9b4/0)

Hopefully, I will find out for certain with hands-on later in the week.
I'll report back, as this could be very useful information for others.

geezer
11-17-2004, 04:21 PM
Simply attach the included "video/sound out" cable to the "video/sound in" RCA jacks on your TV or video in card on your PC and presto, you see the LCD display on your screen. It works for all settings e.g. P, A, S, playback, etc. I'm not guessing - I just tried it with an FZ3.

This is a standard feature so I'm not sure what the folks at Panasonic were talking about.

John Tropi
11-18-2004, 02:10 PM
I think the simple answer is that the folks at Panasonic UK Customer Support are equally not sure what they are talking about either! :D

genece
11-18-2004, 04:08 PM
What am I doing wrong it does not seem to work with my FZ20. :confused:

geezer
11-18-2004, 06:09 PM
I can't think what you are doing wrong. I don't mean to be insulting but did you switch to the appropriate "video in" signal on your TV (you may have to check your TV manual). Also, check to make sure the cables are connected correctly - white to white, yellow to yellow. On some TVs it is hard to tell the difference in the colors.

Also, if you are in a region with PAL and you set the camera to PAL, I think that the record function output is still done in NTSC so it will probably only display images that are already recorded (but I'm not sure).

Good luck. And let us know if you get it working.

genece
11-18-2004, 06:26 PM
You may well have a point to the TV instruction book now if I could just find it.

genece
11-19-2004, 09:50 AM
You were right about reading the TV book. It indeed does work with the FZ20 but for some reason not with he FZ10.
Now if I can figure how to get my video card to read the damera I'll be set.
The card has a video in but I can not make it work.
Back to the book.
Thanks for the heads-up.