PDA

View Full Version : *ist DS and 3rd party flash

Ishkabibble
09-02-2005, 10:33 PM
I have a Starblitz 3800 DEF soft twin flash that I would love to use with my *ist DS, however every time I shoot, the flash appears to trigger as the shutter is closing. Images are dark, even in bulb mode. The flash appears to be functioning properly.

Specifics:
Has DP-1 Shoe for interfacing with Pentax
TTL and Aux Auto/Manual modes
Single or twin flash modes
Three contacts on base (does not have teh small contact on the front right of the hot-shoe

Any suggestions on how to get this flash working with my *ist DS are greatly appreciated... and please let me know if it cannot be done.

Many thanks,

siege

joelw135
09-03-2005, 10:34 AM
I think if you go over to www.dpreview.com forum for Pentax DSLR there is someone to answer your question.

rjromero10
09-07-2005, 11:05 AM
I have a Starblitz 3800 DEF soft twin flash that I would love to use with my *ist DS, however every time I shoot, the flash appears to trigger as the shutter is closing. Images are dark, even in bulb mode. The flash appears to be functioning properly.

Specifics:
Three contacts on base (does not have teh small contact on the front right of the hot-shoe

Any suggestions on how to get this flash working with my *ist DS are greatly appreciated... and please let me know if it cannot be done.

Many thanks,

siege

I have an old Vivitar Flash, it was doing the same thing. I don't know if this is the problem for you, but when I would attach the flash it would fire but the Flash indicator in the view finder was flashing as if there was no flash attached, I had to move the flash slightly back from the fully front seated position. In other words I can't slide the flash onto the shoe all the way forward. This cured my problem. Hope this helps.

Ishkabibble
09-18-2005, 10:10 AM
Thank you for your assistance. After further testing, I was able to determine that the problem was incompatibility. I traded my old flash for another old one... different brand, same specs... and my problem was solved.

Doc_Hollyday
11-07-2005, 10:15 AM

Specifics:

Many thanks,

siege

Set your camere to manual and set tehe time to 1/60 sec. This is the synchronisation off your old flash. Standard synchronisation of the pentax istd s is 1/180 sec.