PDA

View Full Version : Tips on shooting @ the Airshow

Tyger
09-02-2005, 12:53 PM
So i'm planning to make a trip to the C.N.E here in toronto to watch the Airshow. Does anyone have anytips they would like to share?

I know i have to use a high shutterspeed and try panning with the planes, use burst mode....

It's the first time i'll be doing this and i have one day to get some decent shots. Any help would be great!

thanx in advance!

kornhauser
09-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Interested in hearing the responses too! The airshow in Winston Salem, North Carolina is September 10th and 11th!

D70FAN
09-02-2005, 04:27 PM
So i'm planning to make a trip to the C.N.E here in toronto to watch the Airshow. Does anyone have anytips they would like to share?

I know i have to use a high shutterspeed and try panning with the planes, use burst mode....

It's the first time i'll be doing this and i have one day to get some decent shots. Any help would be great!

thanx in advance!

If you have a highway (not a freeway) nearby (50MPH-75MP+ speed) get to within about 100 feet and start shooting. Even at 200 feet you can simulate airshow speeds. I have found that this approximates an F18 moving at 500-600MPH at a hundred yards or farther. Even better if you have an airport nearby. I used to practice at San Jose and San Francisco when I lived in the bay Area.

Whenever I go to an airshow (unfortunately very rarely these days) I try to practice this the day before, and even on the day of the airshow, and it helps.

P.S. Yes drivers may look at you funny. The police may as well. And these days maybe airport security may visit, so use descretion. ;)