PDA

View Full Version : wishing I had not bought the d70 and all the lenses

badgerjh
09-01-2005, 10:34 PM
I feel Ive done my research, I have lens coming out my ears, always slightly not quite right one for the job or camera. My latest 80-400vr is a piece of crap, have been in touch with nikon and from their answers I know whats coming next. Can anybody relate out there?

Rex914
09-01-2005, 10:38 PM
Could you be a bit more specific about what's going wrong? Perhaps you could post some photos to illustrate this.

The 80-400 VR is a decent (but outdated) lens, but not worth the price tag. It's badly in need of a replacement.

badgerjh
09-01-2005, 10:56 PM
the only bad thing I ever heard was regarding the slow focusing, well if i'm sneaking around looking wildlife I figure thats workable it does fair pictures and a couple good one if lighting is perfect...I had a beautiful owl jump on this rock and give me a stare down, took many pictures, with different exposures, shutter speed, iso's just to make sure my bases were covered, not one was sharp enough, my olympus point and shoot would have done better. I tried send raw samples to nikon, "well its eighter the camera or the lens" I paint a bundle for this my 70-300 for $250.00 is tack sharp colmparded to this wildife has to be sharp and close, I changed the focus screen, no wonder people have such trouble keeping it clean, it made of plastic and wil scratch with Q-tip I think I can get a clearing shot at 400mm handholding with the vr off but try zooming and croping the truth comes out. hate to vent on my first post but I can find anybody that isnt happy with the thing.. any advice will be appreciated...........

D70FAN
09-02-2005, 06:33 AM
the only bad thing I ever heard was regarding the slow focusing, well if i'm sneaking around looking wildlife I figure thats workable it does fair pictures and a couple good one if lighting is perfect...I had a beautiful owl jump on this rock and give me a stare down, took many pictures, with different exposures, shutter speed, iso's just to make sure my bases were covered, not one was sharp enough, my olympus point and shoot would have done better. I tried send raw samples to nikon, "well its eighter the camera or the lens" I paint a bundle for this my 70-300 for $250.00 is tack sharp colmparded to this wildife has to be sharp and close, I changed the focus screen, no wonder people have such trouble keeping it clean, it made of plastic and wil scratch with Q-tip I think I can get a clearing shot at 400mm handholding with the vr off but try zooming and croping the truth comes out. hate to vent on my first post but I can find anybody that isnt happy with the thing.. any advice will be appreciated...........

Even Nikon and Canon have lenses that sneak through QC. Just send it back to Nikon and have them recalibrate. Should be "fine as fox fur" when you get it back. Most lens companies will do this.

erichlund
09-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Even Nikon and Canon have lenses that sneak through QC. Just send it back to Nikon and have them recalibrate. Should be "fine as fox fur" when you get it back. Most lens companies will do this.
If nothing else, there's a good reason for this. Remember, that lens wasn't made across the street. It was made across the world. It's changed hands numerous times to get to you. You hope that it was always handled carefully, but I've worked retail and I know better. So, it's quite possible that the lens left Nikon in perfect shape.

Cheers,
Eric

D70FAN
09-02-2005, 02:49 PM
If nothing else, there's a good reason for this. Remember, that lens wasn't made across the street. It was made across the world. It's changed hands numerous times to get to you. You hope that it was always handled carefully, but I've worked retail and I know better. So, it's quite possible that the lens left Nikon in perfect shape.

Cheers,
Eric

Good point Eric. Even at the factory, after QC, the packaging crew may drop one or two. Not likely that the packaging person will send it back to be checked. ;)

A quick note to badgerjh: I have used Nikons customer service twice, in 8 years, and found them to be very helpful, especially with pro and prosumer products. So what you should see next is a note to return the lens and to expect a 7 working day turn-around (not counting transit time).

BigConig
09-15-2005, 06:03 AM
I would send it back while it's still under warranty. I tried a bunch of long zooms and the 80-400 VR is the first one I've found that's acceptably sharp for me- I probably get around 90% keepers with this lens.

http://home.rochester.rr.com/bigconig1/rth.jpg

D70FAN
09-15-2005, 09:12 AM
I would send it back while it's still under warranty. I tried a bunch of long zooms and the 80-400 VR is the first one I've found that's acceptably sharp for me- I probably get around 90% keepers with this lens.

Very nice. EXIF data says 400mm @f8 and 1/500sec. Can we assume hand held?

Thanks.

thesween
09-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Gorgeous, I love raptors. I'll give you this, at least you have no blobs of crap on your sensor, which is more than I can say about my D70. In a shot like this, mine would show garbage dead-center, and a little northwest of center most of the time. If you have sensor crud, did you hide it with the bird? Sorry for being a dummy, since I "think" I know birds of prey, but is it a peregrine?

D70FAN
09-15-2005, 04:06 PM
Gorgeous, I love raptors. I'll give you this, at least you have no blobs of crap on your sensor, which is more than I can say about my D70. In a shot like this, mine would show garbage dead-center, and a little northwest of center most of the time. If you have sensor crud, did you hide it with the bird? Sorry for being a dummy, since I "think" I know birds of prey, but is it a peregrine?

Clean the sensor. It's really not rocket science. Or blow $35 and have it professionally cleaned. If you have a camera repair shop in you area, most offer this service now.

D70FAN
09-15-2005, 04:13 PM
So what happened to badgerjh?

It would be interesting to see if Nikon fixed his lens. Guess it was a drop-in.

BigConig
09-16-2005, 04:35 AM
Very nice. EXIF data says 400mm @f8 and 1/500sec. Can we assume hand held?

Thanks.

Thank you, yes it was hand held. the 80-400 on a D70 is quite managable to walk around with.

BigConig
09-16-2005, 04:51 AM

Like George says just go ahead and clean the sensor. There are quite a few guides around on how to do it. I got a kit from copperhill (http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/image/39082096) and followed their instructions. It's quite easy.

I believe it's a red tailed hawk.

thesween
09-16-2005, 10:33 AM
No, its not rocket science, but it's not for those among us who fear damaging the heart and soul of a thousand-dollar-plus body either. After reading EVERY piece of literature I could find on the matter, it's pretty obvious cleaning a sensor is a procedure one approaches with considerable forethought and consideration, and a measure of justifiable apprehension as well. And, if you don't mind, just where are you that you can get a camera serviced for $35? Even 5-6 years ago the few shops in my area wanted $50-65 just to LOOK at a SLR or TLR.

BigConig
09-16-2005, 02:56 PM
No, its not rocket science, but it's not for those among us who fear damaging the heart and soul of a thousand-dollar-plus body either. After reading EVERY piece of literature I could find on the matter, it's pretty obvious cleaning a sensor is a procedure one approaches with considerable forethought and consideration, and a measure of justifiable apprehension as well. And, if you don't mind, just where are you that you can get a camera serviced for $35? Even 5-6 years ago the few shops in my area wanted $50-65 just to LOOK at a SLR or TLR.

I understand your apprehension and felt it as well the first time I cleaned my sensor. I remember feeling my heart beat in my throat. This is a message posted by the director of tech/info dept. @ canon USA about the copperhill kit and method I linked to above.

< Hi, Folks:

I found the following tutorial on the Web and would like to bring it to
your attention.

NO GUARANTEES, but this is the best sensor cleaning method I've seen so
far that doesn't involve sending the camera in to the Factory Service
Center. I am sending a copy of this message to our Service Managers for
their review.

Your comments are welcome.

Best Regards,

Chuck Westfall
Director/Technical Information Dept.
Camera Division/Canon U.S.A., Inc.
TEL: +1-516-328-4828
FAX: +1-516-328-4809
E-Mail: cwestfall@cusa.canon.com

Von Thomas
Digital TECH/NYC >

Here (http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/image/11013788) is a link to the guide. It really is as simple as a quick wipe with a swab.

D70FAN
09-16-2005, 03:38 PM

Locally, we use Tempe Camera Repair. Usually a 1-2 working day turn around. $35 + shipping for out of state service. (480) 966-6954 select camera repair (#2) for info.

Keep in mind that the sensor that you see behind the mirror has a glass IR filter cover that is actually pretty hard to damage. Sensor cleaning kits have contact points that are very soft and not likely to harm the glass filter or the sensor.

Here is a system that many people like. I tried it once (demo) and I'm thinking about buying this kit as well (I just haven't needed it yet). Just use common sense caution and it's very easy.

http://www.visibledust.com/sensor_cleaning_products.html

P.S. They even have some short video clips, on their website to show you how to do it.

thesween
09-16-2005, 07:34 PM
You guys are going to talk me into doing this yet! So far, my blob problem isn't bad at all, really. In fact, a Hurricane blast or two got rid of all but one small piece of crud still on the sensor. Thanks George and BigConig...

kezs
09-25-2005, 11:41 PM
Clean the sensor. It's really not rocket science. Or blow $35 and have it professionally cleaned. If you have a camera repair shop in you area, most offer this service now.

sorry for intruding, but I was browsing through this thread and this here caught my attention. I've been getting what you might call "blobs" in my pics, and, even though it's a p&s, I'd like to know if you guys think this might be solved by having it "professionally cleaned".

here's the thread with a sample pic: http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12427

again, sorry for the nonrelated post, and thanks.

D70FAN
09-26-2005, 06:28 AM
sorry for intruding, but I was browsing through this thread and this here caught my attention. I've been getting what you might call "blobs" in my pics, and, even though it's a p&s, I'd like to know if you guys think this might be solved by having it "professionally cleaned".

here's the thread with a sample pic: http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12427

again, sorry for the nonrelated post, and thanks.

Unfortunately, you will probably have to send it back to Sony, as cleaning the tiny sensor will be difficult and will require disassembly of the camera.

If it is still under warranty this might be a good idea, if not then it may cost more than it's worth. Contact Sony an see what they say.

kezs
09-26-2005, 08:03 AM
yeah, it's prolly the way to go. thanks!

it is still under warranty. I've dropped it once though, and it shows a little on the side. I'm afraid they'll say it was a consequence of the fall. well, I hope not. :D

again, thanks.